I'm just getting started and need a bit of info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 22_boomer
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

I'm just getting started and need a bit of info.

I'm not at all familiar with the 6.5 grendel although I built the AR using a Saturn 24" barrel with the 1:8 twist and it came with the correct bolt. It's a new barrel and has the Grendel II chambering. I have not reloaded any ammo for this rifle, I decided to go with some commercial Hornady 123gr A-max and the Hornady 123gr SST for starters and some Privi Partizan 120gr ammo for maybe plinking. If there are other types of commercially available ammo that I should try, please let me know.

I have some physical handicaps that might not allow me to walk any long distance and 100 yards will be it for now although I do want to get out to the 300 yard mark at some point. I was wondering if the ammo I bought was appropriate for the distances I want to shoot. Would the Hornady die set for the 6.5 Grendel be good enough for loading fairly accurate rounds. In the future, if things work out for me, what would be a good bullet seating die over and above the standard Hornady bullet seating die. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I should be able to test the rifle out in a few weeks.
    Last edited by 22_boomer; 03-16-2016, 05:56 PM.
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

I'm not reloading yet so I'll let the reloaders steer you in the right direction. As far as getting out to 300 yd with factory ammo. You will have no problems. This round moves through the air like few others with a extremely good bullet coefficient. The trick is getting the scope or optic sighted in and getting your ballistic curves for the round so you know what to dial in on your scope.

Hopefully you will get up to the 300 yd mark quickly with your gun and with your body. Once you do that you will want to go further and further and I hope you can obtain that.

Comment

• 22_boomer
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with the 6.5 Grendel after reading all the info here but my problem is most of those people shooting for accuracy are really into all the different aspects of the round and I was kind of hoping to get a better handle on the Grendel. I guess the best way is like you said -- start shooting it and pay attention to the scope adjustments. I'm working on my physical stuff each day and hope to be up to the 300 yards some time down the road.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

I use the Hornady dies and haven't had any problems. My Grendel shoots better than me.
        NRA Lifer

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Fwiw, I was surprised at how close the ballistic chart on hornady' website was to what my gun actually shot the factory 123sst. Past 500 I had to dial in a bit more elevation.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Yes, Hornady dies are plenty fine for accuracy. I turned my expander ball and polished it so it wouldn't leave tool marks inside my neck, and neck tension is tighter with less cold working of the brass.

I also double turn the projectiles when seating to reduce concentricity issues with the bullet.

100yds, 9rds, 10th shown. 17.6" Lilja barrel chambered by AA, rapid fire after first 3 rounds (2 of the slow fired rounds are the outliers):

1000yds, rapid fire:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jawbone
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

helpful link, LRRP. thank you, Sir.

Comment

• cvdawley
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2016

Thanks!

Comment

• 22_boomer
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2016

LLRP52,
                    Thanks for the tip on polishing of expander ball! Could you explain to me how you turn the projectiles when seating in the case neck -- this sounds interesting. Do any of you use a crimp die or do you feel there is enough neck to hold the bullet correctly?

I need to check if there are any ranges I can get to that have the steel plate targets at the longer ranges.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

I'm thinking by "double turn" he means he is seating the bullet then lowers the press, rotate the round and raise the press seating the round again.

I think I am one of the few that do crimp. I found it helped my .223 loads so I do my Grendel loads too. Most think it's not necessary
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 22_boomer View Post
                        LLRP52,
                        Thanks for the tip on polishing of expander ball! Could you explain to me how you turn the projectiles when seating in the case neck -- this sounds interesting. Do any of you use a crimp die or do you feel there is enough neck to hold the bullet correctly?

I need to check if there are any ranges I can get to that have the steel plate targets at the longer ranges.
                        When I seat, I raise the ram and get the projectile started into the case, but don't do a full stroke. I then lower the cartridge down, spin it 90 degrees in the shell holder, and do a full stroke for the final seat. 6.5 guys did a video where they demonstrated this with control groups, running the cartridge lots through a concentricity comparator set-up, and they noticed reduced concentricity runout that was clearly demonstrable.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 22_boomer
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          When I seat, I raise the ram and get the projectile started into the case, but don't do a full stroke. I then lower the cartridge down, spin it 90 degrees in the shell holder, and do a full stroke for the final seat. 6.5 guys did a video where they demonstrated this with control groups, running the cartridge lots through a concentricity comparator set-up, and they noticed reduced concentricity runout that was clearly demonstrable.
                          Thanks for that info. All I have to do is get me a die set, shell holder and a priming tool shell holder.

Comment

• kmon
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2015

I could be wrong but think 52 is referring to
                            partially seat the bullet
                            lower the ram of the press
                            rotate the case 90 degrees, have had success getting better runout at 90 and 180 degrees
                            finish seating the bullet.
                            I have also had good results getting more concentric loads even waiting until the bullet is seated then turning the case and seating again after the bullet was seated.

Neck tension of .003 especially with a compressed load is enough to keep the bullet from setting back in the loads I have loaded for in 223 and 6.5 Grendel in the ARs have not crimped them in several years.

Comment

Working...
                            X