Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenchRider

Alexander Arms has a 17 hmr upper???

I was looking at (okay, drooling over) the ammunition from Alexander Arms' website when I looked up at the navigation bar and saw:

".50 Beowulf" -- thought, "ahh yes, I've always wanted one of those..."
    "6.5 Grendel" -- thought, "darn glad I got one of those...."
    "17 HMR" -- and the brain locked up like the brakes on a minivan when there's deer in the road.

Had to crank it over a couple times, but once it sputtered back to functioning, I was giddy like 16 year-old with his first car on Saturday night. "OOOoooo, they got UPPERS!!", I squeaks.

"The other guys at the local rimfire-only egg shoots would poop themselves if I show up with one of THOSE!" is what I'm thinking while wondering how tight they will group at 100 yards if AA builds 'em.

Figure it's a fair question for the forum that favors another AA innovation.

Anybody?

When i used to be heavily into rimfire shooting i could make my ol 10 22 shoot .5-1 moa. I've seen 17hmr bolt actions bust out tomorrow .2-1 moa at 100 (perfect day). I've heard that it will be shooting .5-.75 moa from the factory Im curious to see a semi auto do that.

Comment

Yeah, but that's an awful lot to drop on a .17 hmr. I would like to get on for my grendel for some cheap plinking. I used to have a .22 conversion for my 5.56. But, the rifling was all wrong and you couldn't hit a barn with it. I bet that .17 would shoot real nice.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

The test rifle I have shoots the 20 grain bullet the best, and I now have 5 shot groups in the .5 MOA range. Single best group is .32, but almost everything goes under an inch now.

It shoots a bit different than my Grendel. The Grendel tends to like a strong hold, while the .17 I shoot a bit looser. The rifle I have doesn't have a bipod on it, so I've only shot it off bags so far.

Next weekend we'll see a bunch of guys shoot rifles at the West Coast Meet and Shoot in Richland, Washington and hopefully some of them will be back on to talk about it.

My ONLY complaint is that I wish it had 30 round mags, because with so little recoil you can shoot 10 shots really fast!

Comment

• jwilson1985

i would have to re barrel it to a 22 mag ;-)

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
            i would have to re barrel it to a 22 mag ;-)
            And you'd have to do a lot of redevelopment work. As lots of people have found, the .22 mag and the .17 simply aren't interchangeable.

Comment

Mine seems to like the 17 gr V-Max slightly more than the 20 Gr. While I have not sat down to shoot serious groups yet, I got several under an inch while "playing with my new toy".

Comment

• BenchRider

As one Mutt mentioned above, there's some serious coin to be considered before bringing this sweet little addition into my 17HMR stable. I've got a switch-barrel CZ455 that will usually hold 1/2MOA or better if I do my part. It runs a 22 inch barrel. If this had a 24 inch bull barrel on it, I'd feel better putting it up against the 25.4 inch barrel on my rival's 1517MPR Anschutz, as well as burning 750 Washingtons on it.

There *is* a 20 inch barreled Anschutz 64 SBR in 17HMR that has been showing up and waxing EVERYBODY...

Maybe this isn't the game to play with the AA 17HMR upper. Maybe it's for getting on a dog town and smoking everything within 250 yards. I wonder what extra mags (lots of extra mags...) cost.

Ouch -- sitting on this fence is awful pokey in the parts!
                Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2011, 01:53 AM. Reason: Referenced wrong poster

Comment

• BenchRider

Yeah, yeah -- of course I didn't look at the 'Accessories' before posting. $9.99 for every extra 10 round magazine. 17HMR *is* cheaper than (most of) the centerfire stuff... but I could go broke burning 10 rounds per magazine in a semi-auto...

I've got it! Somebody should just *GIVE* me one!

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BenchRider View Post
                    Yeah, yeah -- of course I didn't look at the 'Accessories' before posting. $9.99 for every extra 10 round magazine. 17HMR *is* cheaper than (most of) the centerfire stuff... but I could go broke burning 10 rounds per magazine in a semi-auto...

I've got it! Somebody should just *GIVE* me one!
                    Yep, but buy 10 and their only 8 bucks each!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jamie45 View Post
                      Mine seems to like the 17 gr V-Max slightly more than the 20 Gr. While I have not sat down to shoot serious groups yet, I got several under an inch while "playing with my new toy".
                      I'd like see pictures of any of your 17 HMR AR's. The BRD still has a strong hold on me!

Comment

• RU Grendel

I ran into one of Bill A's guys at the range when the .17 was still being tested. He had a proto gun there he was running failure test on. He was around 10,000 rounds into it and it was still functioning perfectly. He let me shoot a couple hundred rounds. It's definitely on my "to buy" list!

Comment

VASCAR2, Your request will probably exceed my meger digital technical abilities, but I will try to get something posted tomorrow.

what is BRD?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

BRD is Black Rifle Disease and I have yet to find a cure but the effects are more pronounced when the weather is cool and there is very little wind.

Comment

• BenchRider

There's no cure for BRD.

It is only manageable with regular doses of burned powder, hot brass, and a light recoil massage.

Additional exposure to forged aluminum, stainless steel, and unique alloys like 9130 and Carpenter 158 configured in finely machined and tuned assemblies only seems to accelerate the progression of the ailment. This requires ever increasing doses of the approved treatment above.

Additional symptoms include: The inability to pass up sales on anything called "upper", "barrel", "Alexander Arms", "Grendel", "brass", or even "bullets". These activities are soon followed by visits from shipping company trucks which causes a brief euphoria in the victim. This is often short lived due to the influence of non-afflicted persons making statements like, "You spent money on THAT?", "Why do you need any more of THOSE?", "What's THAT for?", and "How much did THAT cost?" This interaction produces a retreat to an area where the afflicted uses 'tools' to affix the newly acquired pieces to the existing source of the disease. This event is often shortly followed by a treatment session, often referred to as "Range Time". This treatment time is MOST beneficial when the weather is cool and there is very little or no air movement (as accurately indicated by VASCAR2). Some of us cannot be without treatment for very long and will venture out in nearly intolerable heat and cold for a fix.

Trigger Time is a Terrible thing to waste.

Please send all donations to:
                              Alexander Arms
                              C/O "Buy Benchrider a 17HMR Upper"

Comment

Working...
                              X