• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Which Bolt?

Is there any sort of consensus pooling up behind certain manufacturers of quality 6.5 Grendel bolts?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The AA bolts are the ones to beat. The RDT&E AA has done on their bolts exceeds what most companies even do with 5.56.

AA really did most of the groundwork for a strong and reliable bolt and extractor with the 50 Beowulf before the 6.5 Grendel even existed.

The foundation for the engineering and design of the bolt was built on the lessons learned from the Colt 7.62x39 Sporter, which was done in the 1980's, and there are a lot of things with the 6.5 Grendel bolt that are different than a 5.56 bolt in order to optimize extractor geometry around the thicker case rim, extractor lip material, pin location, the alloy used, firing pin protrusion and compatibility with regular AR15 firing pins, extractor lift travel, and ejector dimensions.

What I have seen in the after market is a very slow learning process trying to catch up, and usually failing when looking at long-term batch-to-batch consistency in the metallurgy and sourcing of quality extractors. The initial attempts to make .124" bolt face depth "7.62x39" bolts work usually failed, and the cartridge started to get a bad name for this, even though you didn't see it with the AA bolts.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Keep The Change
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Thanks LRRPF52,
      I knew a lot of the history with Bill Alexander and his development and figured his knowledge and R&D would have his bolts at the top. So I expected to see AA bolts in the short list.

Comment

• 82HALO
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

LRRPF52, what are you thoughts on the JP enhanced bolts? Slowly getting parts and was curious about options.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Jp makes good stuff, period.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 82HALO View Post
            LRRPF52, what are you thoughts on the JP enhanced bolts? Slowly getting parts and was curious about options.
            I've always had good experiences with JP products, but I just don't have any personal ones with their 6.5 Grendel bolts.

There are others on the forum who have and do with much success. I've been trying to get a definitive answer on what bolt face depth the JP bolts use, as well as the length of the bolt.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

Maxim bolts are good and I believe they make the bolts for Precision Firearms or you can get them straight from Maxim.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                The AA bolts are the ones to beat. The RDT&E AA has done on their bolts exceeds what most companies even do with 5.56.

AA really did most of the groundwork for a strong and reliable bolt and extractor with the 50 Beowulf before the 6.5 Grendel even existed.

The foundation for the engineering and design of the bolt was built on the lessons learned from the Colt 7.62x39 Sporter, which was done in the 1980's, and there are a lot of things with the 6.5 Grendel bolt that are different than a 5.56 bolt in order to optimize extractor geometry around the thicker case rim, extractor lip material, pin location, the alloy used, firing pin protrusion and compatibility with regular AR15 firing pins, extractor lift travel, and ejector dimensions.

What I have seen in the after market is a very slow learning process trying to catch up, and usually failing when looking at long-term batch-to-batch consistency in the metallurgy and sourcing of quality extractors. The initial attempts to make .124" bolt face depth "7.62x39" bolts work usually failed, and the cartridge started to get a bad name for this, even though you didn't see it with the AA bolts.
                LRRP52:

We sheared bolt lugs with the AA bolts when the Grendel was relatively new. Since I used both, and sheared lugs on both, my estimate was that the Colt 7.62 X 39 bolt worked as good as the AA Grendel bolts. Yes, I sheared lugs on each one of those, too.

Certainly, the cheap 7.62 X 39 bolts sheared lugs faster. I even used a 5.56 Bolt that was reamed out with work done on the extractor so it would take the Grendel. Although I never would have figured, it lasted longer than any of the 7.62 X 39 bolts. It equaled the Grendel bolts of the time. Yes, it too sheared a lug after about 4K rounds.

I do have a JP race gun Grendel upper whose bolt has probably lasted longer than any other Grendel bolt I have used. Great upper, really fun to shoot. Best balance for standing positions than any other rifle I own.

LR55

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I was talking with the military sales guy from Daniel Defense at SHOT, who retired from a career in Ranger Regiment and the AMU.

I was surprised to hear him say that they were breaking bolts on the 7.62 NATO M110 left and right, because the AR10/SR25/M110 bolts are massive.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X