X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eldonkey
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Great. Thank you everyone for the input. I will post pics once the build is done..

Comment

• Holyfather12
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2016

I ordered the Vortex Scope mount with my Vortex 6-24X50 PST. still waiting for it to come in but it had really good reviews.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Wilson Combat makes a really nice QD scope mount that is very rugged, reasonably priced, and has excellent return to zero. I have had mine on and off of my rifle probably 50 times with no shift in zero.

Comment

• pdq5oh
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2015

I put an American Defense Recon 20MOA mount on mine. It's quick detach and very well made. I have a 6-24 HS LR scope and have plenty of elevation to dial past 1000 yds. The price is very reasonable, too.
          Phil

Comment

• BarrelNut
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

Like others have mentioned, the Aero Ultralight mounts are hard to beat. Investing in a quality scope with 80-100+ MOA adjustment will help negate the need for a 20 MOA base. With that said, if Aero had a canted 20MOA base I would have purchased it...

Comment

• Eldonkey
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2016

Great point BarrelNut.. My vyper has 75 of MOA adjustment.. I went ahead and purchased a Burris Pepr quick detach for $59.99 on Palmetto.. Couldnt pass up that deal, as the QD was $99 elsewhere. To start with I will skip the 20 moa adjustment mount for now simply because I don't intend to hunt past 500 yards, which this will cover plenty. However, once I find a range that goes out to 700 yards plus in Oklahoma I may reconsider and get something different.

Comment

• pdq5oh
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2015

If you're going to shoot long range you'll need a 20 MOA mount. 75 min of adjustment is only 32-36 min from center. That's not enough to get a Grendel to 1000 yds, and you want to avoid maxing out your elevation if possible.
                Phil

Comment

• Eldonkey
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2016

It's true, going out to 1000 yards is not possible with this setup. How far do you think I can go with the straight PEPR and this Vyper scope?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

A quick check with Hornady ballistic calculator a 123 grain bullet with a BC .510 at 2500 FPS at 700' ASL you probably can get to 800-850 yards.

Comment

• Eldonkey
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2016

Thank you VASCAR2. Since this will be primarily a hunting rig for hog and maybe white tail deer, I will only shoot under the following conditions.

1. At a distance and situation where I feel I can make a clean and ethical kill
                      2. At a distance where the energy lb is 800 or more

I am thinking no more than 500-600 yards on this one, which means I am good to go with the PEPR mount for now. However, if I decide to start punching paper past 800 yards, I will definitely take all of the great advice here and pick up a quality 20 MOA mount. Thanks again everyone for the input and help.

Frank

Comment

• gmar
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eldonkey View Post
                        It's a good question. I am in Oklahoma.. About 600-700 ft above seas level. I hunt deer and plan to hunt hog out here. Believe it or not lots of hills and deep ravines where I go, pretty rugged but not mountainous. I also grew up in Arizona and have gone back to hunt there.. Now we re talking 4000-8000 ft above and mountains and canyons galore.
                        I take it you're in the eastern part of the state?

Comment

• Eldonkey
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2016

Gmar.. Yes, broken arrow to be exact.. You?

Comment

• gmar
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eldonkey View Post
                            Gmar.. Yes, broken arrow to be exact.. You?
                            I'm in Piedmont just outside OKC. Relatively flat here.

Comment

• Eldonkey
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2016

Yes it is. I hunt at a place called Hulah Lake.. North of Bartlesville. Suprisningly hilly with lots of creek's and ridges..

Comment

Working...
                              X