• Show
Clear All
  • burnsome
    Warrior
    • Jun 2011

BHW barrels

From the sticky above:

2016 6.5 Grendel Deals

BHW is running 20% off their barrels from 1/18/16-1/24/16. Use coupon code SHOT16

http://blackholeweaponry.com/

How do their 264 LBC barrels shoot as compared to Grendel? I'm looking for a new 12.5 inch, which they have on sale. Was going to hold out and get a Lilja, but the BHW sale is pretty sweet at the moment. I just shoot factory ammo for hunting and target use. Dont reload. TIA
  • Dave Bob
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Not apples to apples cause mine is almost 10" longer (22") but its one of the most accurate barrels I own. If you want to spend more and get a SAMMI spec barrel I was in on the Lilja short barrel group buy (12.5 on mine) and it's as accurate. Both are 1x8 twist.

Dave

Comment

• ah1whiskey
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

with 20% off that is tough to pass up--

Comment

• devildogandboy
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Dave Bob View Post
        Not apples to apples cause mine is almost 10" longer (22") but its one of the most accurate barrels I own. If you want to spend more and get a SAMMI spec barrel I was in on the Lilja short barrel group buy (12.5 on mine) and it's as accurate. Both are 1x8 twist.

Dave
        like Dave, i have the 22" barrel and while i'm just working up loads for it, it's going to be one accurate mother! i love the caliber and this barrel!

Bruce
        HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• danm
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

I have an 18" 1:9 and the best group I've shot was .250" (yes 3 shot) ... Just get one at that price! I plan on doing a 12.5" too, maybe it's time

Comment

• Cornbread
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

I picked up an 18" on sale from a vendor $200. Couldn't pass it up. I actually prefer not having the compound throat( heresy, I know lol). The only thing I don't like is the .125 762x39 bolt.

Comment

• ahillock
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
              I picked up an 18" on sale from a vendor $200. Couldn't pass it up. I actually prefer not having the compound throat( heresy, I know lol). The only thing I don't like is the .125 762x39 bolt.

Is there a true difference in the .125 Type I vs .136 Type II bolt assuming they are both headspaced to the correct barrel? I guess that extra .011 (8.8%) could make a difference?

Comment

• burnsome
                Warrior
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by danm View Post
                I have an 18" 1:9 and the best group I've shot was .250" (yes 3 shot) ... Just get one at that price! I plan on doing a 12.5" too, maybe it's time
                cool beans. I'll get one. Thanks for the replies

Comment

• burnsome
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                  I believe my current Model 1 sales 6.5 uses the x39 bolt, so I assume it will work fine in the BHW barrel?

Comment

• Cornbread
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                    Is there a true difference in the .125 Type I vs .136 Type II bolt assuming they are both headspaced to the correct barrel? I guess that extra .011 (8.8%) could make a difference?
                    I think the extractor is a weak point with the rim thickness of the case. The extra depth and the design of the extractor on the " grendel" bolt gives better extraction. Also, the bolt is a weak point in the platform given the larger case head in a bolt designed for a .556 round.

The model 1 sales bolt should work fine given that your bhw barrel is a type 1 design as most are. That being said it's a cheap bolt as is the saa model I have. If I have issues I plan on upgrading to a better bolt.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2013

You can have it headspaced to the .136 bolt, all you have to do is ask for it. The .136 bolt is supposed to be stronger and not as likely to break according to a lot of knowledgeable folks.

Dave

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2015

Does that bolt fit a standard carrier ?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Yes both .136 Type II and .125 Type I bolt fit AR-15 standard carrier.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2015

Okay. I'm still not clear though. I think I want to take advantage of this BHW sale. Should I ask for .136 or .125 ? I don't have any bolt yet so I need to buy either one anyway.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

The .136 has a stronger extractor due to the thicker lip. Get the .136 head spacing and you order a standard Grendel bolt. (Type II, if ordering from Tactical Ammunition).
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X