• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Barrel question for build

After doing my research and reading countless threads and opinions, I have settled on the 18" barrel (was going back and forth between 18" vs. 20") as it seems like the best compromise of FPS, length, weight...etc. and don't lose too much. Probably a wash between the 18" vs. 20" in most things anyways.

Now my question is about barrels. As much as I would like to get a nice top of the line barrel, I just can't justify it at the moment. However I have found several barrels that I would be happy with. Is there a easy way for me to narrow the list down further, or do I just draw out of a hat at this point? Looking at:

Black Hole Weaponry vs. Satern Liberty vs. Odin Works vs. Spinta Precision.

Is there a way to narrow it down to what I should go with? I have read reviews of happy owners of all of them. Seems like a toss up at this point?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

BHW at 20% off sure makes it tempting

Know of any sales going on for 6.5grendel ammo/parts/accessories? Post them below I didn't notice any deal threads so I decided to make one. Mods if you could sticky this that would be excellent :cool: I guess I'll start it off. BHW is running 20% off their barrels from 1/18/16-1/24/16. Use coupon code SHOT16

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      BHW at 20% off sure makes it tempting

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l-Deals-Thread
      Yeah I saw that in the deal thread and makes it very very tempting. Probably the best route at the moment. I don't see if you can get a head spaced bolt along with the barrel?

Also saw they only do Type I (0.125) head space?

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
        Yeah I saw that in the deal thread and makes it very very tempting. Probably the best route at the moment. I don't see if you can get a head spaced bolt along with the barrel?

Also saw they only do Type I (0.125) head space?
        If you ask for a type II bolt they used to do that or I think they will let you send in your bolt for head space. Spinta looks to use BHW barrels so why go with hem when you can cutout middle man. Precision Firearms offers a criterion barrel for 325.00 without Bolt which is close to the brownells price and you get a saami chamber if that's important to you.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• ahillock
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

I have narrowed my list down to a BHW vs Satern/Liberty (Brownells or Midway AR Stoner) barrel. Any strong reason to go with BHW or a Satern/Liberty over one or the other?

Comment

• ahillock
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
            I have narrowed my list down to a BHW vs Satern/Liberty (Brownells or Midway AR Stoner) barrel. Any strong reason to go with BHW or a Satern/Liberty over one or the other?

Bump. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? Thanks.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Because of satern's handling of the group buy issue I would avoid them.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The Brownell's and Midway barrels are drilled with a large gas port which makes the guns overgassed. The best solution is an adjustable gas block which adds to the cost of your build.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

VASCAR2, you are dead on right about the gas port being oversized, atleast mine is.

I put the syrac on it after trying a diffrent adjustable block and it is so much better now.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

So for my rifle length gas system,24" Brownells barrel I should be looking for an adjustable gas block?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Yes sir you will need a adjustable gas block.

I have a syrac on mine and its a very tight fit to barrel maks it seal off really well.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rugerfan.64 View Post
                        So for my rifle length gas system,24" Brownells barrel I should be looking for an adjustable gas block?

I personally don't know anyone with the Brownell's 24" 6.5 Grendel. A friend has an Alexander Arms 24" 6.5 Grendel and the gas system on it is well balanced. I don't remember reading of anyone having to much gas with the Brownell's 24" 6.5 Grendel barrel. The 20" 6.5 Grendel's normally don't need an adjustable gas block. If the 24" Brownell's barrels were having issues being over gassed I'd think it would be mentioned on the few gun forums I read. If you have a 24" Brownell's barrel measure the diameter of the gas port and someone on the forum will know the appropriate size port for a 24" 6.5 Grendel.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-22-2016, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

One of the reasons I went with 24" was to avoid being overgassed. I will measure it and get it posted. I checked it and 0.088" is the best I could do with my calipers. What should it be ? I really wasn't wanting to spend the extra money on an adjustable gas block. 3/32" drill bit will slip into it which = .09375" So is Brownells gas port oversized? Which will cause an over gassed situation in rifles using their barrels ?
                          Last edited by Rugerfan.64; 01-22-2016, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                            Warrior
                            • May 2014

According to LRRPF52 on 8-19-2015 I should not need an adjustable gas block. I hope not anyway.

MLGS 16" start at .078"
                            MLGS 18" start at .076"
                            RLGS start at .094"

If you seal the gas block to the journal, and seal the tube to the block, you can get better gas pressure with smaller ports.

Comment

Working...
                            X