• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

First time to range

Well went to the best range around my house. Range owner boresighted and set zero at 100 yards then I took over, wasn't really worried bout trying for tight groups just wanted to get on paper and start getting comfy with my first ar hunting rifle.

The gun shoot very tight groups if I did my part. In the pic is group's of amax and sst 123 hornady.
    the amax would shoot the tights when I did my part.
    Only problem I ran into as you can see from the pic is it was shooting high with both rounds, worse with the sst round.

I did get it hitting the bullseye but I don't have a pic of that set of groups .
    I'm sure when I get more comfy with the rifle my groups will get much better.
    More range reports coming when more ammo is delivered. LOL i shoot 80 rounds today.
  • terrywick4
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

80 rounds that's a good start.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yea lol I had bought 120 rounds 60 amax and 60 sst. I have 50 rounds coming from pf soon as they get here I will be back at range seeing what kind of groups I can get.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I did notice more muzzle jump then I thought it would have but it wasnt bad. Not sure there is much I can do about that.

Comment

• terrywick4
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

an adjustable gas block will take some of the violence out of the ar.

Are you gonna reload your own rounds?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I plan to but it will be some time before I could do that because I dont have room to set up a reloading bench are store the materials sately from my children. Adjustable gas block how would that help with muzzle jump?

Wouldnt a muzzle break do more for muzzle jump educate me please, but im not sure I could use that my barrel has a 11 deg target crown and is not treaded for muzzle devices.

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

Yeah you would have to get the barrel threaded... I run a Dragons Head linear comp on mine and it's super easy to spot my own shots with.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I may look into getting it threaded is it hard to thread a ss barrel and how well would a brake match up to my 11deg target crown.

Comment

• danm
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  I may look into getting it threaded is it hard to thread a ss barrel and how well would a brake match up to my 11deg target crown.
                  Good questions, I'm not a gunsmith so hopefully more experienced posters chime in...

Comment

• pkee
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

i am wanting to learn about adjustable gas blocks as well . hope someone explains it for us .

Comment

• terrywick4
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

This is right from JP sight on adjustable gas blocks:
                      JP Adjustable Gas Systems

Our Adjustable Gas System is an integral part of our “recoil management” system. Most rifles are over-gassed and the resulting bolt slamming effect is a very significant part of the felt recoil impulse, which impedes sight recovery. We found that controlling the bolt velocity made for a much smoother shooting rifle. This easy-to-install gas manifold allows you to tune your bolt velocity to a particular load and optimize the feel of your rifle. If you enlarge the gas port, it is possible to tune up or down in case you want to use reduced loads or in the case of some very short-barreled AR-15 versions, which are somewhat ammunition sensitive. You may also shut the system off if you don’t want to chase brass or give a hot brass shower to your neighbor on the firing line at the range.

Originally posted by pkee View Post
                      i am wanting to learn about adjustable gas blocks as well . hope someone explains it for us .

Comment

• Nick
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Just had my barrel cut and threaded and it ran me $125 with a thread protector

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Who did you have do the work, reason I ask is I have been calling around here in louisiana and cant find anyone that can do it, so I guess I will haveto send it off to get it done.

Comment

Working...
                          X