SAOD Uppers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAOD Uppers?

Hi folks, new to the forum. A little overwhelmed by the breadth of info, I must admit. Decided to acquire my first Grendel and looking at options.

Any thought about SAOD uppers? They are in GA (I live in metro Atlanta), but I'm a little leery of a "Grendel variant" rather than the actual 6.5 Grendel chamber.

I know 6.5 Grendel uppers also are available from AA and Precision. Others I should check out? Going to be using a Spikes lower and I'm primarily a hunter and plinker (don't plan to shoot competitively or anything like that). Would like to keep the cost in the $1,000 range if I can, but will go higher if there are compelling reasons to do so.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Welcome!

I am a devoted advocate of the Grendel chamber. It was developed for the AR 15, and to allow the widest possible variety of ammo to function well. Many of us have shot groups that are below .5 MOA with standard Grendel chambers.

The argument used for the variant chambers is that the tighter neck allows better accuracy. However, there are so many other accuracy issues in gas guns that I don't feel that tightening the neck is a good solution. It also potentially makes the use of some of the different ammunition more problematical.

The thing to remember is that if it is a Grendel chamber, all factory Grendel ammuntion will work, or the manufacturer will fix it, period!

Along with the companies you mentioned, J&T makes Grendel uppers, as does JP and Templar Consulting.

Comment

There are many licensed Grendel manufacturers, AA has quite a lot to offer, Templar offers complete custom options, we all get along and are in fact friends beyond being business associates.

What you can count on is getting what you want, getting it for a good price and having the quality that you would insist upon.

Comment

Other than the Grendel barrel, Bolt and Magazines you can feel free to use what ever upper or lower you prefer. If a guy makes nice uppers locally there isn't any good reason to not go with it.

Comment

• PA_Allen
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum. I have used a SAOD 6.5 upper for about 2 years now. Mine has a 20" Lothar Walther barrel with the CSS chamber. I have been very pleased with my upper. I picked mine up while traveling through Atlanta. A friend of mine purchased the same upper based on my recommendation, and has had great luck with it as well.
          Best,
          PA

Comment

So I went by Tucker Gun today to look at a few of the SAOD uppers, but the guy that sells them on gunbroker only had a couple. They looked reasonably well made, but when I asked the guy to tell me about the company that makes them he got all squirrely and said I didnt need to know about it, it's a guy in NE GA and why would I want to know about it anyway. So I left, drove home, called Precision Firearms, and Mark is going to get me exactly what I wanted in the next 10 days. Weird day. Why on earth would you react like that?

Comment

Working...
            X