• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Long Range rig, 24 or 22 inch barrel?

Folks, want to build a 600 yard plus rig. Want to know, 22 bull or 24 inch bull? Want it to be able to go to 1000 yards. Looking at Radical Arms, 24" or maybe a JSC 22" SS bull. Any help would be appreciated. A2
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Is an extra 50 to 60fps worth it to you? If it is go with the 24 inch barrel. Either can get you to 1K

Comment

• Joseph5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I have shot out to a thousand with a 22 inch barrel, it is definetly do-able. If I remember correctly I had 30 MOA of drop to get to 1000 yards. I don't think 2 inches will make a bit of difference. Joseph

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

My 16" 6.5 Grendel get 2450 FPS with factory 123 grain A-Max, at that speed the A-Max stays supersonic past 1100 yards. I only have enough elevation on my 16" to get to 800 yards but with a mil-dot scope I can hold over to get there. I put a 20 MOA base on my scope and my reloads using 123 grain Nosler CC in my 20" 6.5 Grendel at 2450 FPS is GTG at 1000+ yards.

Going from 24" to 20" barrel on average your probably loosing 80 to 100 FPS. Run the numbers in a ballistic calculator but 2450 FPS at sea level will keep a 123 grain match bullet supersonic to 1100+ yards.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-01-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• M60gov20
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2015

I have been shooting 1000 with my 18" jp with good results. I initially ordered a 22 and after a few conversations with Ben at jp. I switched it to the 18" barrel.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

Put it all together last night.

Folks,

Decided on a 24 inch bull barrel from X-Caliber barrels from Montana. 1:8 twist, target crown, 416R stainless .264LBC. 6 groove rifling, this company has an excellent reputation, they are a small custom barrel maker. $255 shipped.
            It will be paired with a rifle length gas tube, a Seekins Engineering adjustable gas block. The Upper is an M4E1, with hand guard 15" from Schuyler Arms made by Aero Precision. Bolt is a 7.62x39 bolt from AR15 Depot, as will be the bolt carrier. Optics will be a SWFA super Sniper in 10x42MQ. A2

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
              Folks,

Decided on a 24 inch bull barrel from X-Caliber barrels from Montana. 1:8 twist, target crown, 416R stainless .264LBC. 6 groove rifling, this company has an excellent reputation, they are a small custom barrel maker. $255 shipped.
              It will be paired with a rifle length gas tube, a Seekins Engineering adjustable gas block. The Upper is an M4E1, with hand guard 15" from Schuyler Arms made by Aero Precision. Bolt is a 7.62x39 bolt from AR15 Depot, as will be the bolt carrier. Optics will be a SWFA super Sniper in 10x42MQ. A2
              Sounds good let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                Warrior
                • Aug 2015

Changed my order.

Folks,

Cancelled my order with X-Caliber. In keeping with the budget build, Double Star had a smoking deal on a 24" 1:9 stainless, with gas block and bolt for $289. And they had it. A2

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

Sounds good, but ive been told that x-caliber is on part with Shilen for anyone else that wants to give them a try.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

You're not going to see a huge difference in velocity between a 22" and 24" barrel, even in calibers with more case capacity.

You can plug in all the numbers into this velocity estimator from JASmith's website: http://shootersnotes.com/VelEstim.php

Grendel case data is:

35 gr H2O
                    1.520" case length

It's a fun calculator either way, and does not use a linear function, but an algorithm based on real world pressure data and multiple data points from different barrel lengths. You really see a steep curve when the barrels get shorter, and a flat curve at the longer lengths.

There's also a velocity estimator graph in Volume I of the reloading handbooks where you can see this.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BigBC
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
                      Folks,

Cancelled my order with X-Caliber. In keeping with the budget build, Double Star had a smoking deal on a 24" 1:9 stainless, with gas block and bolt for $289. And they had it. A2
                      Are there different "accuracy capabilities" for match grade barrels? I see some prices similar to yours and other upwards of 800 just for the barrel. I was under the impression there were non mil-spec, mil-spec, match grade and match grade "select" barrels or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X