• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

source for 6.5 G extractor ?

Is there a source for replacement 6.5 Grendel extractors for AR-15 bolts?

Don't see the part listed on AA's website, and would prefer to not buy an entire bolt for just an extractor.

Will the DPMS 7.62x39 extractor work properly?

Thanks
    Drifter

A 7.62x39 extractor should work--both cartridges share the same rim dimensions. I have ARs in both 6.5 and 7.62x39, and I do remember comparing the two extractors. The only thing I remember for certain was that one extractor was slightly wider than the other and wouldn't quite fit in the bolt. I don't remember which one it was, though. Maybe it was just a tolerance issue instead of a design difference. I know that the Grendel boltface is slightly deeper than the 7.62, allowing more "meat" on the extractor hook end, but I don't know if that'll preclude using a 7.62 in a 6.5. I'll try to make a point of hauling out both irons and comparing the extractors. If I don't report in a day or two, ping me via IM to help me kickstart the old rememberer.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Call AA, they will sell you an extractor. Their website isn't set up as a parts website, so they don't list all the small parts. The Grendel extractor is different than the 7.62 extractor because of the depth of the bolt face.

Comment

After I wrote that, I recalled reading something by Bill A. that mentioned extractor differences. Sure enough, I was wrong. Here's Bill's reply to a thread regarding the Grendel on ARFcom:

"To clear some confusion regarding bolts, the bolt we use was designed from the outset to fit this rim size and actually follows early Colt patterns. The increase in rim thickness on the case (0.058" vs 0.035" on the 5.56) necessitates a wider extraction groove. As this references from the bolt face simply cutting the groove will remove most of the extractor lip. The solution is to increase the bolt depth slightly hence moving the reference backwards. The claw is extended slightly and the pivot point revised to allow for a 0.075" groove and now a heavier extraction lip. The additional depth (0.011") does not increase strength but does allow slightly more elasticity in the lugs which is not always a bad outcome even if intangible in the field."

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I'll give AA a call.
          Drifter

Comment

Working...
          X