• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squatch
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

barrel contour opinions

What barrel contour are you guys using for you hunting rifles? Itd be for about 500yds max. Is that possible out of a 20inch hbar profile, will that get the job done? Im looking for 3/4 moa or tighter using factory hornady ammo
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

I have a Lilja 319 profile on my hunting rifle. I don't shoot out to 500 yards, but it's nice to carry and it shoots much better than I. One day I'll stretch it's legs.

I believe Adam Lilja reached out and put one down at quite an impressive distance last year. His rifle was listed for sale a while back, the description may have the specs. (Adam's barrel is listed as an AR-740)
    Last edited by jim_bob; 10-08-2015, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I like the Lilja Lightweight Wasp profile personally. I'm even thinking about dimpling the fore end on one. Steel quality to me is more important than profile, as higher end barrels with good grain structure seem to hold a group well even when heated, whereas many medium contour factory barrels will walk with heat, and featherweight rack grade even more so.

Adam put a large Montana deer down at 502yds with his 20" Grendel, and others have done the same out East and on Kodiak Island, AK.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

A Friend just took a buck Antelope at 540 yards in Wyoming using a handload with a Nosler 120 grain Ballistic tip. His Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel barrel is 24" long. The elevation would have been around 7200' ASL.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I like the Lilja Lightweight Wasp profile personally. I'm even thinking about dimpling the fore end on one. Steel quality to me is more important than profile, as higher end barrels with good grain structure seem to hold a group well even when heated, whereas many medium contour factory barrels will walk with heat, and featherweight rack grade even more so.

Adam put a large Montana deer down at 502yds with his 20" Grendel, and others have done the same out East and on Kodiak Island, AK.
          What steel do the different Mfg's use? Do you have any idea of the RC hardness or heat treatment processes? If they do cryogenic treatments? All I've ever seen listed is 416 stainless or 4150 or 4160 chrome moly as barrel materials?

Comment

• Squatch
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2015

Thanks guys ill check out lilja

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Hard to beat JP Enterprise for accuracy, especially with a Grendel. Their supermatch barrels are offered in medium reverse countour so you can install their thermal dissipators. Slick setup.
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• USMCSgt85
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2015

I just built my first 6.5 on a Shilen 20" H-Bar profile. 30 test groups using Lapua brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers, 85gr Sierra HPFB and H4198, IMR 4198 and H335 powder best to worst groups....752" average @ 100yds. (I have the targets posted else where on this board.
                Sight Alignment
                Sight Picture
                Squeeze...Bullseye!!

USMCSgt85
                2111/8531

Comment

• din
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by USMCSgt85 View Post
                  752" average @ 100yds.
                  I think you might be doing something wrong.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Nah din you missed it, that's a ....752" avg
                    Last edited by rabiddawg; 10-13-2015, 10:21 AM.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                    X