dented case! what the ****? Anybody seen this before? Should I be concerned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texascop
    Unwashed
    • May 2015

dented case! what the ****? Anybody seen this before? Should I be concerned?

Whenever the rifle chambers a new round from the magazine, if I don't shoot and unload, it always looks like this. New to 6.5, but not new to reloading, I've never seen this. The cases fire form out ok, but that has got to be shortening case life. Your thoughts....
    Attached Files
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Is it being scratched by the lug teeth of the barrel extension? (Whatever they're called?)
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Could be coming from the magazine. Trying switching mags.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have had ammo do this with some reloads in my 16" Shaw barrel. The reloads were using 30 grains of CFE223 with 123 grain Nosler CC in a Carbine gas system. I thought the slower burning powder and lighter charge might be the culprit. I radiused the ejector and used other ammo with no issues. The lugs were hitting the top of the case as it was attempting to leave the mag. I figured the bolt didn't have enough momentum to the rear to get a good push on the top cartridge.

Comment

• texascop
          Unwashed
          • May 2015

That makes sense, bolt lug strike, and if that is the case I would think changing the buffer to a lighter variant would be in order. I am running a heavy buffer at the moment.

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Did that round chamber?

I've seen similar marks on cases when the mag was not locked in and moved down when the bolt came across. This caused the round to jam into the feed ramp and stop.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Yeah, the rounds aren't feeding quite kosher. The case shoulder is getting those dents from the barrel extension's lugs. That's the kind of thing you also see with the bottom round in a double feed situation.

I'm supsecting the magazine is mostly the issue, but radiusing your ejector button head would also likely help.

Try some other mags? The feed lips on the mag that is doing this might need tweeked to present the round at a better angle.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Sputnik
                Warrior
                • May 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                Is it being scratched by the lug teeth of the barrel extension? (Whatever they're called?)
                That is what happened to me with my 5.56 BHW barrel build a few years ago. Mine would actually not feed until the BCG was pulled back and allowed to slam it home a second time. You could see the teeth catching the casing. I sacrificed a box of ammo and after about 200 cycles they finally chambered ok. A faster remedy may be to polish the feed ramps and the sharp corners of the lugs.

Comment

• tackdriver
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2013

I swapped uppers with a member here a couple years ago and he sent me very similar pics, it was a factory AA upper. After a bit of back and forth we certainly to the conclusion was most likely the magazine. I sent him a different mag and he had no issues

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                    That is what happened to me with my 5.56 BHW barrel build a few years ago. Mine would actually not feed until the BCG was pulled back and allowed to slam it home a second time. You could see the teeth catching the casing. I sacrificed a box of ammo and after about 200 cycles they finally chambered ok. A faster remedy may be to polish the feed ramps and the sharp corners of the lugs.
                    True. I was thinking that along with the radiused ejector (I like the "melt down" Paul does). I stopped short of calling for it though because I think there is still an underlying cause that needs fixed first. The rounds aren't presenting right on the ramp, and that's likely a magazine issue.

The polished feed ramp and radiused ejector help overcome sketchy mag geometry (great reason to have them!), but a proper mag should feed without them.

I guess the most harmonious conclusion is to adjust the mag feedlips, and then polish as one would prefer.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

My 264LBC was doing the same thing, back when it was having (under) gas issues. FTE, Double Feed, etc.

I re-aligned the GB, did an ejector spring mod, which cleared up the issue. I eventually added an adjustable GB so I could tame the cyclic rate without owning a library of different buffers.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I just took my 4 Grendel's to the range today and shot over 200 rounds through all of them. I used 123 gr Amax, SST, reloads, and 100 gr. wolf steel case ammo and I have never experienced this problem. I have Alexander Arms and Lilja barrels with AA 30 round mags. All of my rifles have adjustable gas blocks and squared upper receivers. I always radius the ejector, polish the bolt face and extractor. I'm wondering if the tolerances in the receivers may be at fault. If the mag catch or any other tolerance is off it could be a cause ot this problem. What receivers are you using?

Comment

• REB
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2013

I'm having the same issue, AA upper and AA mags. Mine is not a severe as yours. I am almost positive the mags are causing these dents.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2013

I have this problem with AA mags and C-Products

Comment

• din
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
                              I have this problem with AA mags and C-Products
                              Elanders or just the other AA mags?