• Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Hornady GMX

Hi Folks,

Has anybody tried any of the above.

I have both the books and the ninth edition of the Hornady. Just needing to know if you have used them and what loads, speed and performance.

Thanks.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I have used the modified (lightened) version from sneaky one here on forum. Accuracy is great, on game performance was better than great. I'll have to look up loads and post later

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Buck,

Really long for the Grendel. Takes up a lot of powder space if loaded to mag length. Great bullet for those with longer throats and that can load 1 at a time. May be great for those with short action bolt guns who have longer mags.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It works in the AR15, especially with CFE223. The cut-down units from Sneaky One are ideal for the Grendel case volume and shoulder to powder column relationship. If you settle your powder with a vibratory method, it can help you a bit with these.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Buck, if you want to try a few different wts., let me know. I can pm you my data from the past 6 years.

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

Wow Guys,

Thanks for the answers.

Rics... yes please

Bwaites... I do and will post my results

LRRP52... I use that method sometimes

Sneaky one... yes please, though I don't have a lathe these days I know a man who has and reloads

What kind of velocities are you guys getting. Remember this side of the pond to go stalking I have to make 1750 ft/lb at the muzzle.
            Last edited by Buck2732; 06-04-2015, 07:35 AM.
            Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

You only have to get a 120gr going 2563fps to meet that 1750 ft/lb requirement. That can be done in the AR15 easily with CFE.

You should be able to get the 120gr GMX to 2600fps from a longer barreled bolt gun easily. What barrel length are you using?

You could also shoot 129gr SST and Interbond to easily make power factor.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Buck2732
                Warrior
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                You only have to get a 120gr going 2563fps to meet that 1750 ft/lb requirement. That can be done in the AR15 easily with CFE.

You should be able to get the 120gr GMX to 2600fps from a longer barreled bolt gun easily. What barrel length are you using?

You could also shoot 129gr SST and Interbond to easily make power factor.
                Its 22inches. I have a load for the 129SST.

The 123SST I can get to 2700 as I posted earlier. I have more 123s and more CFE. I shall be trying to push them faster soon.

As the barnes are unobtainium over here I thought I would try the GMX 120s.
                Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Buck, the Gmx at 120 fr. wont expand enough to be asa best as on the lethality scale . It needs to be at the high end-105, low end-- to be determined

Comment

• Buck2732
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2012

Sneaky one, if I have translated your post correctly. You are saying they (GMX120) can not be pushed fast enough to work in the Grendel. However trimmed to 105g (max) they are the dogs bollocks? Also you have not yet found the lower weight threshold.

That raises the question what speed do they need to be moving at to make them expand. Also the sub question (to self mainly) would that be achievable with a bolt action Gendel?
                    Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Hornady designed the GMX's to expand down to 2000fps. With a mv of 2600fps, that gives you expansion out to 325yds.

Sneaky's approach is to drive them faster to get more expansion in the closer ranges dictated by more densely-forested terrain in his region, as the shots are almost always within 100yds, mostly within 50yds.

His cut-down GMX's are very nice, fly fast, have violent expansion, with 99% weight retention. To meet the 1750 ft-lbs requirement at the muzzle, you only need a 105gr to go 2750fps. You should be able to hit 2900fps from a 22" bolt gun with a 105gr would be my guess.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X