• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macht
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2013

Seating Deep

I was curious whether any of the horde members load any of the common bullets shorter than mag length? I ask because I recently ran the Berger seating depth ladder with the 123 A-MAX. I ended up which my best accuracy at 0.123 off the lands, significantly shorter than mag length. It seems like mag length is the standard however. Am I giving anything up by seating that deep?
  • Macht
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2013

Anybody? Or am I the only one that does something like that?

Comment

• gpsman007
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

what did your group's measure at 100 yards

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Macht View Post
        I was curious whether any of the horde members load any of the common bullets shorter than mag length? I ask because I recently ran the Berger seating depth ladder with the 123 A-MAX. I ended up which my best accuracy at 0.123 off the lands, significantly shorter than mag length. It seems like mag length is the standard however. Am I giving anything up by seating that deep?
        Macht:

Sure do and I would only get concerned if I thought the depth could cause severe pressure problems. Like if I were compressing loads to get the bullet to seat deeply enough to chamber reliably.

It is better to have the bullet seated off the lands than into them for the Grendel so you are fine.

You may be giving up some powder space but without knowing the bullet and load, hard to say.

And remember that the throat will erode, even with the Grendel. As it does your stand off increases.

LR55

Comment

• wheelguner
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

I have attached a pdf file showing my length data with the Hornady 95gr VMAX loaded to length to fit my chamber. Based on the chamber drawing I expect this bullet will need to be loaded at this depth to fit a true Grendel Chamber. I would like to hear how others are loading it.
          I did something I don't normally do and just picked a load, 27.4gr of Benchmark, and loaded 50 rounds to use on a hunting trip without any prior testing. Lucky for me it shot very well and showed no signs of over pressure.

Hornady 95gr VMAX Load 1.pdf

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
            I have attached a pdf file showing my length data with the Hornady 95gr VMAX loaded to length to fit my chamber. Based on the chamber drawing I expect this bullet will need to be loaded at this depth to fit a true Grendel Chamber. I would like to hear how others are loading it.
            I did something I don't normally do and just picked a load, 27.4gr of Benchmark, and loaded 50 rounds to use on a hunting trip without any prior testing. Lucky for me it shot very well and showed no signs of over pressure.

[ATTACH]6577[/ATTACH]
            just curious what the chamber drawing has to do with it and clearing it?

where are the lands on your rifle and whats the jump?

Comment

Working...
            X