• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Magnetospeed V3

I put in an order for a Magnetospeed last week due to being tired of dealing with old borrowed chrono's that I didn't trust the readings from. Well, the new Magnetospeed came in late yesterday afternoon. Upon initial inspection of the unit, it is very impressive and appears to be very well made. Menu items on the head unit are easy to read on the display. The supplied instructions are easy to understand and are properly worded to the operation of the head unit. The supplied carry case is a nice addition as well. Unfortunately, with today's events and the outside temperatures, I did not get to hit the range to get some numbers and try out the unit. Hopefully some time this week a few rounds will get sent across it's sensors to see how well it all actually works. By first look and working with the unit today, this thing is going to be great and money well spent. If anyone is on the fence about spending the money on this device, I believe it is going to be worth it and a nice tool to have handy.
  • REB
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2013

I'm looking forward to your report. Looks so much easier that trying to align standard crono.

Comment

• ejkoechling
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

wish Labradar would get there act together. Their production date is now spring 2015

Comment

• TacBlade
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2014

I have the V3 and it works Great! Very easy and fast to use!

Comment

• Nukes
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ejkoechling View Post
          wish Labradar would get there act together. Their production date is now spring 2015
          LabRadar explained that their principal developer had some serious health problems that took him out of the picture for several months. I wish him well.

Comment

• mwilkins
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by ejkoechling View Post
            I read up on their device and had a couple of questions, thoughts more or less. If the device sets up on a tripod next to the shooting location, how close to the muzzle is the reading that is being captured to get those velocities. Also, noticed that the down range distance is limited as well. I could see where having a velocity at 50 yards may help but 100 would probably be better but the unit doesn't appear to reach that distance. Looks to be a lot of different data points that could be captured but then again you have to be able to use that data. Direct muzzle velocities may be more consistent with the V3 due to its location thus easier to use the data points and easier to construct tables. Just thinking out loud. If there is something being overlooked here, show me the way.....

Comment

• Nukes
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Just as hanging a can on the muzzle changes barrel harmonics and point of impact, so too does the MagnetoSpeed. Of course, one can separate the tasks of OCW ladders and chronographing loads. If the LabRadar works as promised, the tasks can be combined.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mwilkins View Post
                If the device sets up on a tripod next to the shooting location, how close to the muzzle is the reading that is being captured to get those velocities. Also, noticed that the down range distance is limited as well. I could see where having a velocity at 50 yards may help but 100 would probably be better but the unit doesn't appear to reach that distance. Looks to be a lot of different data points that could be captured but then again you have to be able to use that data. Direct muzzle velocities may be more consistent with the V3 due to its location thus easier to use the data points and easier to construct tables. Just thinking out loud. If there is something being overlooked here, show me the way.....
                This Labradar video shows both muzzle and 100yd velocities.

Latest email from Labradar say it's now available mid-January.

Comment

• mwilkins
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  This Labradar video shows both muzzle and 100yd velocities.
                  From their web site......

What range performance can one expect with LabRadar?
                  In general LabRadar will typically measure the velocity of a 7.62 mm projectile from muzzle up to 100 yards. After extensive testing of a variety of calibers you can expect to obtain velocities at these distances *. .177 Pellet - 30 yards; .177 BB - 30 yards; 22 LR - 60 yards; 223 - 60 yards; 270 - 70 yards; 308 - 80 to 100 yards; 9mm - 130 yards; 40 S&W - 130 yards; 45 ACP - 130 yards; 500 S&W - 130 yards; 12 gauge Slug - 90 yards; Paint Ball - 50 yards; Arrows - 50 yards; * Since every bullet has a different profile your results may vary. In general, the larger the base (excluding the boat tail) the great the distance the projectile can be acquired.

So by reading the above, a 270 is rated to be picked up only out to 70 yards. A Grendel round is smaller in diameter than a 270. There is also the nice little notation stating "excluding the boat tail" which is even smaller in diameter than the projectile. So is that saying that if I have a 6.5 boat tail projectile, my expected range of performance is even less? Even in the video there is a nice little asterisk stating smaller projectiles may not track as far as larger projectiles. This is what I was referencing to in my original post. Obviously until someone gets the unit in hand and we start to see the actual data come in, it is all speculation. Just to add to this conversation in relation to nukes post. If putting a can on the end of a barrel changes POI but is repeatable, I would have to believe the same will be true for the Magnetospeed. As long as the device is properly attached and not moving, the weight is constant and should have a repeatable POI shift. Ladder tests should be valid data with the use of the Magnetospeed. I will load up some new rounds using different powder loads just for this purpose of testing. I already have a known load for a base point and will work backwards off of that. If I can get time at the range this weekend, then I will post up the results with pics. Typical range days for me is to take a silhouette target, turn it backwards and put several rows of 1" shoot and see dots for POA. Then each dots gets labeled with distance, powder and projectile weights. I am sure someone on the forum has already done this but it will be fun for me. Get to use a new tool and hopefully get some solid velocity data.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

With retail costs being different for all four types; light, sound, electromagnetic and radar then it boils down to what do you want your chronograph to do, what are you prepared to put up with, and what are you prepared to pay.
                    Last edited by Klem; 01-06-2015, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X