• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RakkasanDad
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

107gn SMK's

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck shooting 107gn SMK's. Haven't had much luck finding what powder works best with them for my Grendel. Just don't seem to group well. Anyone have any thoughts?
    NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

I shot through a box of the Precision Firearms 107 smk's and they were excellent. The only problem was I didn't save one for breaking down to check case oal and powder charge, I have been led to believe they use xbr for that ammo. I can't confirm that but I do plan to pursue this combo.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I like H-335 for 100 grain bullets from Sierra and Nosler and was going to try H-335 with 107 grain SMK just haven't got to them. I was also going to try IMR8208XBR and Exterminator/A2230 with 107 SMK to test in my 16" 6.5 Grendel. I just didn't spend enough time shooting in 2014 maybe I'll do better in 2015!

Comment

• acourvil
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
        I shot through a box of the Precision Firearms 107 smk's and they were excellent. The only problem was I didn't save one for breaking down to check case oal and powder charge, I have been led to believe they use xbr for that ammo. I can't confirm that but I do plan to pursue this combo.
        I measured some, the average OAL was ~2.250, average BTO was 1.668. Didn't check powder charge.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

Thanks guys. VASCAR2 u just need to give me a shout when you want to shoot some.
          NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RakkasanDad View Post
            Thanks guys. VASCAR2 u just need to give me a shout when you want to shoot some.
            It seems to me your the guy that is working all the time, I'm retired, you have my number. I did get to stretch out my Grendel when I was in Wyoming. I shot at 880 yards and hit five of five at that range in about a 7" group with my Shilen. We tried a thousand yards but the wind shifted and thunderstorms started getting to close so I only got to try about 5 rounds.

Hopefully we'll have a 1000 yard range in the next county south this spring, best part it'll be free.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

28.5 Grains of XBR8208 gets me, .18 MOA 5 shot groups. I could hotter, but....

Comment

• tackdriver
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

I ran across a couple stray rounds of the PF 107smk load and took one apart. I would bet a $100 bill the powder is xbr and it had a 29.0gr charge

Comment

• shooter545
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2012

Hmmmm I have both that powder and that bullet in the locker. After reading bwaites post may have to give that a go.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Yup. 8208XBR under the 107gr SMK is a great load. It would awesome if Sierra offered the 107gr SMK in the new Tipped SMK line-up, with an increased BC, or maybe came up with a 110 or 115gr Tipped SMK.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X