• IceAxe
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

+1 Stainless all the way.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

+1 on stainless. I built my tumbler. I can do about 1500 pieces of .556 in one shot. The only challenge I have is our water is very hard here and the brass will come out nice and shiny but tarnishes quickly if I don't dry it properly.

NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
        +1 on stainless. I built my tumbler. I can do about 1500 pieces of .556 in one shot. The only challenge I have is our water is very hard here and the brass will come out nice and shiny but tarnishes quickly if I don't dry it properly.

More pictures? Plans? Very nice setup!

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Nice, that looks like a big PVC tube on a pair of rollers run by a belt connected to an electric motor ??? I love these do it yourself projects, please give more info.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

No plans really. I just cobbled it together using parts and materials I had on hand with the exception of a few pieces. I pulled a few more pics out of my PB account.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Let see if this thing will let me post a video...

Something you might find unique is this doubles as the power source for my meat grinder, which, incidentally, I'll be using here in the near future.
              Last edited by txgunner00; 01-03-2015, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                Nice, that looks like a big PVC tube on a pair of rollers run by a belt connected to an electric motor ??? I love these do it yourself projects, please give more info.
                The pipe is a 8" SDR 35 sewer pipe with glued on caps and a flange adapter cut in to accept a 4" test cap. If you are interested I can dig up more specific info. There are other ways to achieve the same thing but this was the cheapest way to accomplish it with the parts I had. If you get into big SCH40 pipe the fitting cost goes way up. Basically the difference is the pressure rating but you only need it to hold water. I have another drum I just screwed 1/2" HDPE plastic sheet to each end and cut a hole for the same type of cap. I use this one for dry media if I want to do a quick polish without having to mess with the water.
                Last edited by txgunner00; 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  The pipe is a 8" SDR 35 sewer pipe with glued on caps and a flange adapter cut in to accept a 4" test cap. If you are interested I can dig up more specific info. There are other ways to achieve the same thing but this was the cheapest way to accomplish it with the parts I had. If you get into big SCH40 pipe the fitting cost goes way up. Basically the difference is the pressure rating but you only need it to hold water. I have another drum I just screwed 1/2" HDPE plastic sheet to each end and cut a hole for the same type of cap. I use this one for dry media if I want to do a quick polish without having to mess with the water.
                  Simple but very effective. I have seen old cement mixers used for polishing large amounts of brass with great results. The tube on rollers is a first for me. I'm going to have to go through my massive parts pile and see what could be built. Great video, I enjoyed it a lot, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Now I wish i hadnt thrown my old ice cream freezer away.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• jawbone
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2012

brilliant DIY, TG. and the video answered all my questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X