Hornady came out with 100gr GMX in 6.8/.277 caliber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Hornady used to make a 100 gr A-Max in 6.5

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Hornady still makes the 100 A-Max. In my opinion, what we need is these weights redesigned with the same sleek noses as their heavier counterparts. Why not squeeze every last drop of juice from it that they can? I really don't get arbitrary and artificial self-limitations. . . .

It's like they're thinking, "The 6.5 Grendel allows 18.8mm bullet nose exposure; .260 Rem allows 20mm; 6.5 Creedmoor allows 23.5mm; 6.5x47 Lapua allows 22.5 at its SAAMI length or 25.5 loaded out to .308 OAL. . . . So let's design a stubby 6.5 bullet with only a 12mm nose." Doesn't compute.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        Hornady still makes the 100 A-Max. In my opinion, what we need is these weights redesigned with the same sleek noses as their heavier counterparts. Why not squeeze every last drop of juice from it that they can? I really don't get arbitrary and artificial self-limitations. . . .

It's like they're thinking, "The 6.5 Grendel allows 18.8mm bullet nose exposure; .260 Rem allows 20mm; 6.5 Creedmoor allows 23.5mm; 6.5x47 Lapua allows 22.5 at its SAAMI length or 25.5 loaded out to .308 OAL. . . . So let's design a stubby 6.5 bullet with only a 12mm nose." Doesn't compute.
        Thanks for doing this bit of homework.

Those numbers help explain what I have seen in the noses for both the 95gr GS Custom HV and the 95gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullets. It almost seems GS Custom designed those very long nosed bullets for the 6.5x47 and that Lehigh Defense was looking at the .260 Remington.

The result is a bit of a jump in the SAAMI Grendel chamber but the effect on accuracy is not as severe as some might fear. My tests suggest that the accuracy is still "minute of deer" with a COL of 2.260" meaning a proper hold will still get the bullet into the vital zone out to at least 400 yards. Some folks with excellent shooting skills might do better.
        Last edited by JASmith; 12-11-2014, 10:31 PM.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Good speak on all the frontals. I only think the Gmx front needs a small tweak, to shorten it a tic-,, the sst 123 went too far IMHO= stubbyville.

Ummm, I also sent in to have a 3rd groove cut into it , for pressure relief- I have done that idea here---- wow! Ups the speeds nicely. Faster they go, more hardcore downrange results.,,, I went down to 70 & 75 grns. on the Gmx. Never did much for accuracy test on the lighter pills. Speeds were awesome tho.

The frontal plastic tip is there mostly to streamline the bullet, aid a tic on BC's- Help it open up is semi mythville, But the consumer likes the pointy cool tip+ it helps sales!!!!!!

My pal Blade is in the ballistic lab , nearby at the feddy spot. He shoots all of the major manufes pills, tips on, off, weekly, its amazing - the end results.

Saw this from the Feddy files. I was sent some .308 cal. 180 Trophy Bonded Tips to cut down for my 7.62x 40 WT ==they ended up at 115 grns. Plus , no tips.

Too cold to shoot here now=spring project. No hurry they said.

They said that they shot more accurately tippless. I'll post a pic up if any interest is there. Also, in the nasty gel tests that they use - the medium is real world- bones - cartiledge- tipless opens just fine.

Most guys don't hunt past 300 yds.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 12-11-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X