• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

separated case extraction tool?

Hi,

Anyone have the need to have a case removal tool? If so what do you use? Do they make one for the 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks

Redraider
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Use a .40 cal brush...should pull right out.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Just curious, red raider - how many firings on that case?
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Like Dogue said, a .40 brush will probably pop it out.

I've had one partially separated case in the past with the Wolf Gold 120 MPT loading. The case separated about half the way around. I never had any trouble after that, so I just chalked it up to a fluke. I'd gladly buy a ruptured cartridge extractor if someone made one for a normal price though.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Redraider
          Warrior
          • May 2012

Hi,

No stuck case yet, I was just curious if there was a tool for the Grendel. It seems that reloading and gas guns tends to make it happen, so I was trying to be prepared. Thanks for the help and concern, but too early for that now.

Thanks again

Redraider

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

One for a 7.62x39 should work just fine.
            sigpic

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by CPT.CRAZY View Post
              One for a 7.62x39 should work just fine.
              You are saying that a split tine case extractor sized to engage a .30 cal case neck diameter-- will squeeze down far enough to fit through and then engage a .264 cal case neck diameter? I'm all ears if it will.

ETA: I must be a born smart aleck. Re-reading this it sounds sarcastic, and I didn't mean to be. I seriously don't know the answer. I don't think it will work, but I have no way to actually know as I don't have a 7.62x39 case extractor, nor have I ever tried it.

Hopefully I didn't sound like a jerk, I apologize if it came across that way.
              Last edited by Variable; 06-29-2014, 12:35 PM. Reason: Add pic, and then again for clarification.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                Hi,

No stuck case yet, I was just curious if there was a tool for the Grendel. It seems that reloading and gas guns tends to make it happen, so I was trying to be prepared. Thanks for the help and concern, but too early for that now.

Thanks again

Redraider
                RR:

I believe we had one guy in about ten years who actually did separate some heads. I can't remember if he needed any tool to remove the front part of the case from the chamber or if they just fell out.

I believe the brass he was using was PPU and he shot them too many times.

Lapua / AA brass will go a good twenty if not more loadings before they wear out.

PPU brass will go five or six loadings before the primer pockets open up too much for safety.

IMI 7.62 X 39 brass goes four or five loadings before the primer pockets open up too much.

Bill Waites use loads that were too hot in a 28 inch Grendel and ended up with belted magnum Grendel brass but no head separation.

I do know from experience that 7.62 X 51 (.308) brass only gets three or four shots out of an M-14 or M-1 A before you really risk headspace separation and if it happens, most likely you need a tool to remove the brass from the chamber.

Just carry around a oversize bore brush on a pistol rod if you are really worried.

LR55

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Gene: I agree and openly acknowledge that everything you say is correct. That being said, I'm a bit of a geardo sometimes (as Army, I'm positive you already know what the non-PC term is that you'd use instead of "geardo"LOL), and I too would like to have one just for the heck of it. Even though I doubt I'd ever really need it, nor have I ever in the past with thousands of rounds fired.

I just want one "because".

Comment

Case head separation and gas guns only go together because of incorrect sizing of cases. If you push the shoulder back more than .003" then you will get case head separation within 5 or 6 firings. For the Grendel that is nearly impossible to do since all the dies I've measured barely push the shoulder back at all unless the die has been modified by shorting the body. The opposite problem is usually the case, the sizing dies fails to push the shoulder back far enough resulting a hard extraction or failure to completely close the bolt, unless the press is cammed over hard.
                    I don't even know how many rounds of 6.5 Grendel I've fired, probably over 15,000, I would have to look at over a dozen rifle data books to figure that out, and never had a single case separation, even with some cases that have now been loaded 18-20 times. Some of them you can't even read the head stamp, but still no case head separation.
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X