• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RakkasanDad
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

Your "Go To" primer for the Grendel

Just wondering what everyone's favorite primer they are using? I need to order some and was just wondering. I plan on shooting 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips with BLC 2.

. Thanks all
    NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!
  • Lead Chucker

Mine is the CCi #450 small rifle magnum. I use if for all my grendel loads

Comment

AA used mostly CCI 450's for their load development after testing a lot of primers.

I have been using Remington 7.5 BR primers since 2009, with good results.

There is a detailed discussion on primer selection for the Grendel/AR15 in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook series, specifying which ones are thicker, versus the ones that are thin in the cups. It's on page 67.

Comment

• dammitman
        Warrior
        • Dec 2012

Has anyone ever found that using a certain primer actually was the culprit making a load inaccurate in their grendel? Just the primer change, nothing else at all.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

Thanks. I bought a copy from u last week, but have only had time to read the first half and flip through the load data. I have a few 7.5's left but was thinking of trying some 450's. I hope to get to finish reading the rest of it tonite.
          NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers.

Comment

cci 450

Comment

CCI 450 or Rem 71/2 BR. Whatever happens to be on the shelf.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers.
                  How often do those come available?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                    How often do those come available?
                    Fairly. I bought a bunch last time, (pre Obama II) so haven't really looked lately. I bought mine from one of the online dealers, (I think it was Powder Valley). Wideners has them now:
                    Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I've used CCI 450 but I just loaded a few rounds with CCI 41 primers to test. I also used a few hundred Remington small rifle primers with no issues.

Comment

• Dogue
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Wolf SRM's or CCI 41's.
                        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• tackdriver
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2013

I had a pet load in one of my grendels that used winchester small rifle and was very accurate. I loaded up 50 w/same load and #450 and I must have been close to the limit to start with because I pierced the primer on 2 of the first five. I now only use #450 but had to slightly adjust my loads

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
                            I had a pet load in one of my grendels that used winchester small rifle and was very accurate. I loaded up 50 w/same load and #450 and I must have been close to the limit to start with because I pierced the primer on 2 of the first five. I now only use #450 but had to slightly adjust my loads
                            That's strange! I've heard it go the other way, but not a safe load with Winchesters that caused piercings in 450's!

Was the temperature the same?

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
                              Has anyone ever found that using a certain primer actually was the culprit making a load inaccurate in their grendel? Just the primer change, nothing else at all.
                              I don't think that a particular primer will make a good load shoot poorly, but a particular primer can sometimes tighten up a load that last little bit.

For that reason, I like to keep a few different primers on hand for final load tweaking. CCI 41's, Rem 7.5's, Federal AR Match, Wolf SRM's, and Tula SRM's have all provided good results for me, and the "best" can vary by load and / or barrel.

But for someone who doesn't want to buy a variety, any of the aforementioned primers will serve just fine, and very little chance of the primer ruining an otherwise good load.

ETA- If working close to max loads, it's a good idea to work up again if changing primers.
                              Last edited by Drifter; 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X