• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsw0007
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2013

Hornady 123sst with Leverevolution load

Yesterday, I was able to go see a buddy who lives in Bowdon, GA, up on top of a mountain. The weather was nice, just had some swirling winds to contend with, gusts anywhere from 10-25mph, but did have some moments with no wind (very brief moments). We were shooting at an elevation of appx. 1600ft with a temp of 73F.

In my previous post (down the board in this forum) I showed results of my load testing. I determined that my 31.8 lvr load was the best due to the minimal vertical stringing. I adjusted that load just about (will describe both loads below). With my relative inexperience with this rifle, and just this style of shooting in general, I was only able to get one group that I feel like wasn't obscured by environmental factors, though maybe one shot was pushed just a hair by the wind.

Quick rifle specs:
    Pac-Nor 26" bull barrel
    1:8 twist
    .264 lbc chamber
    11 degree target crown

Original load base from initial load testing:
    123sst
    31.8 lvr
    Hornady brass
    Federal 205 primer
    2.270" COL

Yesterday's adjusted load (group pictured below):
    123sst
    31.9 lvr
    Hornady brass
    Federal 205
    2.274" COL

5 round group @ 200yds
    (Single shot in the orange is from a Precision Firearms 123sst factory load after using those for zero at 100yds. Adjusted 2 minutes up, FFE, first round in the orange at 200 so I moved on to testing this new load at 200.)

image.jpg

This same load at 100yds was no better than 2moa but tightened up significantly at 200. Was greatly impressed.
    Last edited by dsw0007; 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM.
    No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it's over, we may declare it's over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote. - Gen. James Mattis
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I have had the same experience. My load of 28.6 gr 8028 XBR using 123 smk bullets, "at best" groups 1 1/2 " at 100 yards . But out to 300 yards I'm getting sub MOA groups consistently.

Comment

What magnification were you shooting on at 100yds?

Comment

Working...
      X