Lilja 304 --123 SST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilja 304 --123 SST

Finally had a window of free time this weekend to test out the Lilja 304 profile barrel.

IMR 8208XBR
    cci450
    AA brass
    123 SST

4 rounds of each loaded

28 grs
    28.2 grs
    28.4 grs
    28.6 grs

All shots were round robin @ 100yds. Orange dot is 1" diameter. Best group is the 28.2. I'll load up 10 more of the 28.2 grs and shoot/chrono them this weekend to see if I can get the same results. Looks like they'll work. I also noticed the Lilja neck is .295" and not .300". Here is a measured fired case.

• Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

Nice group and that's the Lil 16" barrel right? Did you have a chance to weigh the barrel before you installed it? What is the longest OAL it will handle with the 123SST's? On my 20" the max OAL I measured was 2.339 with the 123 SST's. So I guess mine would need set back .040 to be where you had yours loaded to. Also how did yours fit in the mag? Room to move forward or are you about as long as it will go and feed reliably.

Comment

Yes, this is the 16" barrel without muzzle threads. I opted to have a target crown instead because I have no use/need for a comp/muzzle break/flash hider. I did weigh the barrel prior to install, but can't find where I put my notes. IIRC, weight is very close to what Lilja states on their blueprint. 123sst touched the lands at 2.340" on this barrel, but I load to max mag length @ 2.290".

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by jmsdad View Post
        ...I also noticed the Lilja neck is .295" and not .300". Here is a measured fired case.

Alright you got me curios, so I went and measured some once fired lapua brass from my Precision Firearms Grendel.

How close to the end were you measuring?

IMG_20140317_193632_042.jpgIMG_20140317_193611_715.jpg

The two pictures above are the same piece of brass. I measured several pieces, but for the most part they measured just like the one above. Measuring at the very end, I too measured 0.295", but if I moved the calipers back just a little it measures 0.300".

Would you mind measuring your brass again a little back from the very end? I'd also be interested in measurements from anyone else who has fired brass from the new Lilja barrels.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by jmsdad View Post
          Yes, this is the 16" barrel without muzzle threads. I opted to have a target crown instead because I have no use/need for a comp/muzzle break/flash hider. I did weigh the barrel prior to install, but can't find where I put my notes. IIRC, weight is very close to what Lilja states on their blueprint. 123sst touched the lands at 2.340" on this barrel, but I load to max mag length @ 2.290".
          Thanks for your OAL where it just touches the lands. On my Group Barrel Buy, with 123SST's I have right at 2.339 to the lands, but its within +/-.002 so right in line with yours. Today I got 4 barrels in the mail. With the 123SST's, 1 measured 2.298 and the other 3 measure 2.274 +/- .002. I remeasured 5 different times and that is the averages. It never was more than the +/- .002 between measuring and wanted to eliminate technique.

So I think I'll be able to move mine off the lands .005 and fit in the mag fine and not have a lot of jump. I want to know if the .050 jump affects the accuracy. With your group, it really doesnt look like it matters to much but just curious.

What are other people getting for OAL with the 123SST's?
          Last edited by Tedward; 03-18-2014, 01:56 AM. Reason: add note

Comment

• hidesert cowboy
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2014

keep in mind brass springs back a bit I would not consider measuring a fired neck on brass an accurate measure of the neck in the chamber. with a semi auto you have to have jump to the lands because you are not caming the rounds into the chamber like a bolt action. I would not worry about jump unless it was too short and the cases were sticking or if it was too long and accuracy sucked. I have found decent accuracy in everything with a jump to the lands including with VLD bullets, which normally like a jamb.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by hidesert cowboy View Post
              I would not worry about jump unless it was too short and the cases were sticking or if it was too long and accuracy sucked. I have found decent accuracy in everything with a jump to the lands including with VLD bullets, which normally like a jamb.
              Ok, thanks, I see the jump is not causing accuracy issues but read here a lot of times it needs to be close to the lands, maybe it is preference and appreciate the response.

Comment

Bench rest rifles use chambers cut to match the cartridge very snug with little or no jump.
                The world record group that some thought would never be broken was beat by a 30 Spencer.
                It's a Grendel necked up to 30 cal.
                It looks like 1 shot instead of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  A
                  Would you mind measuring your brass again a little back from the very end? I'd also be interested in measurements from anyone else who has fired brass from the new Lilja barrels.
                  All fired brass were re-sized and loaded up again. I'll get measurements after shooting these thru.

Comment

Working...
                  X