Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR Comp with 95 grain V-max?

Anyone try this combo.
    Would like to find an accurate load with this powder using the 95's since it's accurate and clean burning with the 123's.
    The 95 grain V-max works very well in the 6.5 MPC.
    The 95's should be faster and accurate in the 65 Grendel.
    The 6.5 MPC goes around 2660 FPS in an 18 inch barrel.
    How much more velocity could be gained in the Grendel?
    If AR comp isn't a good powder for the 95's I think H-322,2230, or maybe Viht 133 would work.

H-335 is another good one for that bullet weight. With H-335 and an 18" barrel, you should be able to get ~2775fps. It will be between 2725-2826fps using 31.2gr of H-335.

I think AR Comp is worth trying. It certainly works well with 120gr and 123gr in the Grendel. I think it's one of the gold standards in temp stability. I would work up in .2 gr increments.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2014, 05:56 PM.

Comment

The AR comp worked OK at around an inch with the 95 Vmaxs.
      It did very well with the 123 sst's shooting under 3/4 inch and average velocity of 2508.
      The 123's did around .88 with CFE and 2529 average velocity.
      The 85 hp's shot bugholes with H-322.
      One 3 shot group went in the ones.
      I got the 95 vmaxs over 2800 fps fireforming some lapua 7.62x39 brass and they shot around an inch also with 2230.
      The Vmaxs are going to take some more work it seems to get them sub MOA.
      I think I can get 2850 to 2900 out of them but I don't think they'll ever shoot as good as the sierra 85 HP's

Comment

Care to post load data, velocities, details, etc.? Very nice results.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I'v had great results with the 95gn vmax with benchmark. Dont have my data with me but thinking around 2700fps out of a 18" satern. Very accurate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Care to post load data, velocities, details, etc.? Very nice results.
            The 123's were seated to 2.240 COL. and used 7 1/2 primer.
            The CFE load was 31.5 grains lightly crimped.Average velocity was 2529.
            The AR Comp load was 27.5 grains and no crimp.AV was 2509.

The 85HP was seated to 2.130 with Fed SR primers.
            It used 29.6 grains H-322 and no crimp.AV was 2775.

I think the 95 V-max might need to be seated back more around 10 to 15 thou.
            I might have been running them too long at 2.185 COL.
            Going to 2.175 COL next to keep them 10 thou back instead of being maxed out on length.
            The throat on my rifle is around 30 thou shorter than what I'd want but I can't complain about the accuracy.

The AR comp load with the 123 SST makes me happy.
            Before I went to shoot this time I took my gas block off and cleaned the crud out of the port with a drill bit and the port was somewhat rough so I fixed that and went to an H-3 buffer.
            I worked on the extractor and the rifle cycles real good with the AR Comp load and the rest better now.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lead Chucker View Post
              I'v had great results with the 95gn vmax with benchmark. Dont have my data with me but thinking around 2700fps out of a 18" satern. Very accurate as well.
              The potential is there with the 95 V-max in my liberty barrel.
              It shot little under an inch with 28.4 grains H-322 and averaged 2790 fps.
              Last 3 shot group went 3/4 inch.
              Most groups I shoot are 5 shot but sometimes I only load 3 at a time.
              I think backing off on the COL and going to 28.8 grains will get over 2800 fps with good accuracy .
              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Originally posted by 45r View Post
                The potential is there with the 95 V-max in my liberty barrel.
                It shot little under an inch with 28.4 grains H-322.
                It went 2710 fps.
                Last 3 shot group went 3/4 inch.
                Most groups I shoot are 5 shot but sometimes I only load 3 at a time.
                I think backing off on the COL will help and maybe the V-max doesn't want to be pushed hard.
                Oh the Vmax's are great and very accurate. I love shooting them when I can get my hands on them. I was lucky the other day and found some at the local gun store. They are a BLAST on ground hogs and skunks! I usually load 3 rounds also til I find a combo that works then I'll load 5 to confirm it and go from there. I don't like wasting components, they are hard to find and expensive these days. Try some Benchmark or Tac if you can find it. Both has worked great with light bullets for me.

Comment

Working...
                X