• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

AR chambering method while load development

When u guys are doing load development like the Ocw method. Are u single loading the chamber and letting the bolt slam forward or loading all the rounds in the mag and keeping track?
    Besides safety concerns of slam fires...having consistant chamber loading that wont effect your results. ?.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I just put the mag in a shoot a string of loads, then repeat that as many times as I produced rounds for each load.

I always have 2 or 3 weights on the low end that I'm a pretty sure won't be a candidate for the final load, because of low velocity. However, they're great for getting a good trend line of the velocity curve as I approach my barrel's max load.

So while my first shot is a cold shoot that likely throws off the impact it really doesn't affect the data that I need.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• WildBill3/75

I've done both methods and haven't noticed any difference....I generally fire a few factory rounds before I do my testing.

For those that aren't well used to getting the exact same cheek well position the loaded mag will be easier.

Comment

I backwards feed the mag, so that load #5 in a string goes in first, then #4...until my first load to be shot is at the top of the mag. No single-loading for me.

I use fine permanent marker on the side of the brass for what the charge weight is in case "someone else" comes and spills my cartridges all over.

Comment

• cst
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Its just a little tricky trying to shoot round robin OCW with single
          Rounds of each charge weight all loaded in a mag

Comment

• cst
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

I just posted after you...great idea about sharpie on the case. But how many rounds are u firing in one string.. ?because if ur waiting for the barrel to cool ur gonna cook a round alittle

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I backwards feed the mag, so that load #5 in a string goes in first, then #4...until my first load to be shot is at the top of the mag. No single-loading for me.

I use fine permanent marker on the side of the brass for what the charge weight is in case "someone else" comes and spills my cartridges all over.
              excellent, i do this also, it also helps when loading up my ladders. i write the powder type and charge on the case then i fill them with powder, had someone dump a box of test loads once, sucked pulling bullets.

first run for me is 2-3 shots depends on the situation, wildcats with no data is one round just working up checking for pressure and velocity, then compare velocity to barrel times and then load my 3 shot ladders.

Comment

• Michael
                Warrior
                • Jan 2012

Same as LRRPF52 and biggdawg.
                I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                - Voltaire

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Me, I don't mind single feeding the rounds through the ejection port. Bolt always locks back, and allows better cooling, I think. My box is arranged with various charge weights, in ascending order AND I mark all the cases with the charge weight. (Also makes analyzing the cases at home more certain.) Different powders are kept in separate boxes, which always remain closed and in a range back, until needed.

I do it this way because a) I tend to be OC and B) because all rounds are chambered in the same fashion.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Test loads in the same manner in which you intend to use the rifle.
                    Drifter

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I backwards feed the mag, so that load #5 in a string goes in first, then #4...until my first load to be shot is at the top of the mag. No single-loading for me...
                      +1 to this. I have horrible handwriting so the writing on the case doesn't work for me. haha

There's not really a right and wrong as I've seen it. Consistency in all aspects of reloading is much more important. Find a method that works for you and do it that exact way every time, whether it be throwing a charge, loading your ammo into the case, etc.....
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                        Test loads in the same manner in which you intend to use the rifle.
                        Yeah, I know. But I don't shoot one shot every 1.5 minutes, when not doing load development, either.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cst View Post
                          I wouldn't bother with single loading for a round-robin OCW. Consider loading the same number of cartridges in the mag as you have loads. Five is a good number.

Write down the plan to make it easy to follow. For example:

Number your loads 1 through 5
                          Number your targets 1 through 5

Five strings of five shots, so this will be the target (shooting) sequence:

1-2-3-4-5
                          2-3-4-5-1
                          3-4-5-1-2
                          4-5-1-2-3
                          5-1-2-3-4

Simply load five rounds into the mag in reverse order, and shoot the targets in regular order. Check off each string as you complete it.

Do it twice to confirm results.

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          Yeah, I know. But I don't shoot one shot every 1.5 minutes, when not doing load development, either.
                          I'm not waiting 1.5 minutes to shoot whether I'm developing loads or not. If the load is overly sensitive to time between shots, I'll find another load (or another barrel).
                          Drifter

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                            I'm not waiting 1.5 minutes to shoot whether I'm developing loads or not. If the load is overly sensitive to time between shots, I'll find another load (or another barrel).
                            LOL - you've made your point. And so...

Comment

Originally posted by cst View Post
                              After setting up a target-oriented natural point of aim with my position, I will get my mind clear and focuses, then dry-fire from a well-tuned position until I feel I'm in the zone.

I have all different loads in the mag...no two are the same. You can do 8 round strings as well, and check temp sensitivity at the same time:

1st string OCW round robin (each load # is shot on the same # dot/aiming point on the target)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2nd String:

8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

3rd String:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

In the end, every 1 will be on dot #1 on the target, every load 2 on tgt #2, etc. You should see at least one or two nodes in an 8-load ladder.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X