• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

temp and load development

what temp do u guys think is the best temp to do load development? I don't think a load at 40 degrees for example would be good for a load if I'm shooting at 95 degrees in the hot summer. I guess it wouldn't be too critical if u have a very temp insensitive powder..I plan on trying lever evolution

With ball powders, you tend to see more variance over temp ranges, while extruded behave more predictably, with some exceptions.

If we're dealing with high energy content, like a nitroglycerine element in the powder, it can cause major problems at extreme low temps.

That is the problem developing a load in just one season, rather than developing loads over two seasons of the extremes. We want to know what a pressure ladder will look like in the summer, as well as the dead of winter if the load will be mass-produced and used throughout the year.

Comment

• cst
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

anyone know how much velocity swing there is over temperature for ball powder like LVR?

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        With ball powders, you tend to see more variance over temp ranges, while extruded behave more predictably, with some exceptions.

If we're dealing with high energy content, like a nitroglycerine element in the powder, it can cause major problems at extreme low temps.

That is the problem developing a load in just one season, rather than developing loads over two seasons of the extremes. We want to know what a pressure ladder will look like in the summer, as well as the dead of winter if the load will be mass-produced and used throughout the year.
        Still waiting for your results on CFE223…. LOL

Comment

I know BjornF16 had some good results with CFE and the 129gr Hornady IB this winter.

We just finished the bench complex in my workshop today, so now I'm going to start moving things into the room once we get all the tools out. I'm looking at getting a lathe as well.

Anyway, I might have to place my ammo boxes in an ice chest for my "cold weather" testing of the same ladders with CFE.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2014, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Up here in frozen Minnesota I do just as LRRPF52 suggests. My shooting temps can vary from 95* down to -15* so once in a while I end up with some squirrely things happening. Most of the time I can work loads or try different powders to find a muli-weather load. The worst load I have had was a 257 Weatherby, I had 5.50" difference in point of impact from summer to winter. I just have to re zero for warm weather when I use it. I have been trying to keep my Grendel shooting to around 10* - 15* so far. Being new to the Grendel I am sure I will have to do a lot of load testing ant longer ranges to weed out the almost close enough loads.

These are my load development 4 shot groups, 100 yards at 10*, off to a good start.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just realized I cut off the powder weight when I cropped the pictures. IMR 8208 with 123gr A-MAX on top. there is just over 1gr variation in these 4 loads. Worst part is you can see a flyer in each group.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                I know BjornF16 had some good results with CFE and the 129gr Hornady IB this winter.

We just finished the bench complex in my workshop today, so now I'm going to start moving things into the room once we get all the tools out. I'm looking at getting a lathe as well.

Anyway, I might have to place my ammo boxes in an ice chest for my "cold weather" testing of the same ladders with CFE.
                I know you have been busy getting the new digs set up. Just a little gentle teasing on my end. I just found a couple pounds of CFE and another pound of 8202 to play with after I get the grendel finished.

Comment

• waveslayer
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wiersy111 View Post
                  I just realized I cut off the powder weight when I cropped the pictures. IMR 8208 with 123gr A-MAX on top. there is just over 1gr variation in these 4 loads. Worst part is you can see a flyer in each group.
                  What charge weight are you using and seating depth? Also, what primers?

Comment

I never thought I would be sharing my shot group, I just took the pictures to show off to a buddy.

Here are the shot groups with labels like they should have been cropped.

All loads are IMR 8208
                    Remington Small Riffle Primers
                    Hornady 123 A-MAX seated at 2.250.

The two confirmation groups were 6 shot groups.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Great Googely Moogely! Confirmation groups say it all. Nice Groups! Nice Shooting!

Now, lets see what happens when you shoot past 25 yards! (J/K)
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

LOL. I just hope I can do it again, that was the best shooting I have done in a long time. I guess frozen fingers do help.

Comment

Working...
                        X