• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

when to turn the necks

I have searched fervently to find any good info on here about turning some necks to no avail. I recently purchased the 21st Century neck turning tool, pretty awesome.

I wanted to know how often and if you even neck turn at all your Grendel brass. If you do, how much do you trim off?

I am now on my 3rd round of reloading my AA brass, I just annealed all of them, just curious about when to neck turn.
  • WildBill3/75

Here is a good article on neck turning...http://www.6mmbr.com/neckturningbasics.html

To answer your question I do not neck turn at all.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

No one that I know of turns Grendel brass. The only reason to turn necks would be if you had a match chamber with a tight neck. The Grendel chamber neck is .300, which leaves LOTs of room when loaded brass runs .290-.292 or so. I don't anneal Grendel brass either, though a very few do. I have 20+ reloads on some of my Lapua brass. The low pressure of the Grendel is very easy on brass.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Not on an AR auto-loader.

I neck size for a 6.5*47 bolt gun so I have the pilot but think it would be a wasted effort on the Grendel.

Two types of neck sizing; sizing all brass to minimum neck thickness, or to a specific neck thickness (for tight chambers). The Grendel neck is too big and the system too robust for even minimum thickness sizing to show a measurable difference. Just buy quality brass, like Lapua.

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

I have a .293 chamber neck on my mini mauser 6.5 GM and I don't turn necks, using either Hornady brass or Lapua 7.62x39 FF brass.
          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Working...
          X