Finally got to shoot at 100 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got to shoot at 100 yards

The weather warmed up and my rifle shot under an inch with 3 different loads at 100 yards.
    The 85 grain sierras with H-322 went .65 inch and the 123 SST's over 31.5 grains CFE went around .9 inch.
    85 sierras in fireformed 7.62x39 brass and 2230 went around .8 inch.
    The 85's with H-322 put the first 3 in a 1/3 inch bughole.
    I'm really liking that load.
    It should work real well on coyotes.
    The 123's can do better I think.
    Need to fine tune them a little more.
    They're all around 1 inch high and have close POI.
    My 65G is pretty accurate and no FTF and FTE problems.
    I really want to take it out to 300 and beyond now.
  • bluebird
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2013

Waiting for it to warm up and melt some snow here so I can try out some different loads.

Comment

• heinz57grendel

Not to brag or gloat but anything less than 500 yards is starting to get boring for this caliber. We are starting to put some real distance between us and the target. 600+ or bust. You will most likely get the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by heinz57grendel View Post
        Not to brag or gloat but anything less than 500 yards is starting to get boring for this caliber. We are starting to put some real distance between us and the target. 600+ or bust. You will most likely get the same way.
        That's my experience with new shooters who have never shot long-range before. 300yds is a waste unless you use a small target. 400yds and 500yds are boring, although we do have a lot of wind out here in the West that makes wind-reading a very prominent factor in shooting at distance with any caliber.

The Grendel is one that can be done with no recoil penalty, with amazingly low powder consumption.

Comment

I have 41 acres of property and have access to an additional 50 next to me.
          I can shoot out to 400 yards sometimes but in the woods 100 yards is max and in the brush it can be half that or less.
          The wind can get pretty stiff and is howling around 40 MPH today.
          I will probably focus on 300 to 400 yard groups and practice reading the wind at these ranges.
          I don't like or need to shoot farther than 400 yards on deer,coyotes,and woodchucks.
          Maybe I can find a range to shoot farther in the future.
          It would be fun for sure.
          I can tell the Grendel is inherently accurate and look forward to putting it's long range abilities to use even if it's only 400 yards.
          The less wind drift the better and I really like .6 inch groups.
          If I can get half inch groups with the 123's I'll be real happy.

Comment

• heinz57grendel

Don't get me wrong I love to shoot at any yardage. But my grendel begs for yardage.

Comment

Originally posted by heinz57grendel View Post
              Don't get me wrong I love to shoot at any yardage. But my grendel begs for yardage.
              Yes. There is a little voice that comes out of the cartridges and rifle saying,

"Are you serious? That's it?"

400yds on 10x

Comment

Warm sunshine and blue sky.
                I'd love to be able to go to a place like that now and enjoy some long range shooting.
                I'd like to move out west when I retire.
                We're having the second worst winter in recorded history where I'm at.

Comment

Reticle

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Yes. There is a little voice that comes out of the cartridges and rifle saying,

"Are you serious? That's it?"

400yds on 10x
                  What reticle and scope is that in your picture?

Comment

Looks like a Vortex.

Comment

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD, SFP, no Side Focus. Turns out to be one of the best scopes I have ever owned.

Comment

Working...
                      X