• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shooter545
    Warrior
    • Aug 2012

Load Development with CFE223

I was doing some load development this weekend with several calibers. Last of the day was a load that I put together after doing a good bit or research here.

Rifle is a AA 20" upper with MK4 6.5X20 in a LT mount on a Black Rain Ordnance lower with AR Gold trigger and MagPul PRS stock.

This was the last 5 rounds fired of the day. I think with some tweaking this will be a good load for the 20" AA.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'll update as I work more with this load/powder.

You should be somewhere around 2500fps with that load. I love CFE223 under the 123gr A-MAX so far. It's a great powder for the longer projectiles in the 120-129gr class.

You might have a little more room to load out with the COL, but check your jump into the throat. I am able to load to 2.275" COL in my 16" AA, and have achieved some very satisfying velocities from that little gun, getting easily into 2550fps territory, while being quite far from a departure in the trendline.

I have mass-produced 31.0gr of CFE under the 123gr A-MAX, and shot that load for a while out to 600yds on steel plates, with very nice wind deflection and impact on target.

Comment

I shot the same charge of CFE with 123 SST's today at 2.236 with rem 7 1/2 primers.
      They went .4 inch at 50 yards at 2480 fps in my 18 inch barrel.
      Looks like CFE works pretty good for the 123's.

Comment

• shooter545
        Warrior
        • Aug 2012

I've read pretty much everything that you have posted on CFE, it's where I got most of my info on it.

I plan to chrono later this week as my work/travel schedule permits. I think that will play with the COAL and maybe the load a bit to see where that takes me, but this one shoots pretty well.

The one that is low was most likely me and probably my position breaking down slightly during recoil and follow through. This weekend I'll be out on the range where I can get out to 300 to see how it groups at that distance.

All in all a decent start on this powder/load. I'm glad I was able to get 8 lbs of it.

More to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          You might have a little more room to load out with the COL, but check your jump into the throat. I am able to load to 2.275" COL in my 16" AA, and have achieved some very satisfying velocities from that little gun, getting easily into 2550fps territory, while being quite far from a departure in the trendline.

I have mass-produced 31.0gr of CFE under the 123gr A-MAX, and shot that load for a while out to 600yds on steel plates, with very nice wind deflection and impact on target.
          Hey LR, How much jump do you get at 2.275"?

Comment

• bluebird
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2013

Thanks for the info, now to find some CFE powder!

Comment

Originally posted by davidj View Post
              Hey LR, How much jump do you get at 2.275"?
              I can't measure right now, as I don't have a bench anymore, and I'm still digging out of boxes. The ogive on the A-MAX is pretty long, so with the compound throat, it transitions nicely. The cartridges fall out of my AA chamber, so I think I'm in a very good place between having a little more case capacity, and having just the right amount of jump before hitting the 1.5 degree angle.

Comment

• shooter545
                Warrior
                • Aug 2012

I had a chance to shoot 31.0gr of CFE223, 123gr AMAX, COAL of 2.275 this afternoon. Groups weren't bad, they average out to about .936 for 5 at 100. I think that my AA 20" likes the 30.8gr of CFE223 at 2.265 a little better. Weather was great and good day for shooting.

Have to go out of town for work so will get to chrono both loads next week when I get back in town. I like this powder for all the reasons LRRPF52 and others have written about. I expect some nice ES and SD from either load as it meters very accurately.
                Last edited by shooter545; 02-22-2014, 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X