New bullet/cartridge rumors. VLD mono under 120 grs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bullet/cartridge rumors. VLD mono under 120 grs.

Anybody got a line on this? Or is he talking about Harrisons 6.5x47 which is Carcano based?

Anyway it's the light copper VLD bullet that I'm really interested in right now.

"Read this post elsewhere:

Just heard it thru the grapevine during a meeting with, let's say, reliable sources...
    A well known US Marksmanship Unit is currently developing a new .264 cartridge that would fit the SCAR and the M-4 magazines. Based on a necked down and shortened .35 Rem case, the cartridge features a light monolithic VLD bullet, that weighs less than 120 grains. The case length is about 1.7", the body shows little taper and the shoulder angle a surprising 17 degree (no doubt for reliable cycling). Case capacity is around 45 grains of H2O filled to the brim.
    A 2800 fps muzzle velocity is easily reached in a 22" barrel, which implies the probable use of a specific powder for that purpose.
    The unusual choice of the .35 Rem case instead of the 6.8 SPC allows use of the same mags. In field use, the .223 Rem and the .308 Win specs in velocity and wind drift should be bettered past the 550 yd mark.
    That's all I know for the time being.

Anyone heard any news on this development?"

• Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

I read that too BF and hoped someone here would have more information.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Anybody got a line on this? Or is he talking about Harrisons 6.5x47 which is Carcano based?
      It doesn't sound like he's referring to Harrison's cartridge. I'm not sure what round the author is talking about. (Or if he even knows what he's talking about.)

According to Tony Williams, the US Army Marksmanship Unit has developed two 6.5mm rounds, one to fit the M16, and the other to fit 7.62mm weapons. The M16-compatible round is reportedly based on the 0.422" diameter SPC case.

If the cartridge based on the .35 Remington case, which has a 0.460" diameter, is actually usable in 5.56mm magazines, capacity will be too small to be viable for combat use. So, the story really doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        It doesn't sound like he's referring to Harrison's cartridge. I'm not sure what round the author is talking about. (Or if he even knows what he's talking about.)

According to Tony Williams, the US Army Marksmanship Unit has developed two 6.5mm rounds, one to fit the M16, and the other to fit 7.62mm weapons. The M16-compatible round is reportedly based on the 0.422" diameter SPC case.

If the cartridge based on the .35 Remington case, which has a 0.460" diameter, is actually usable in 5.56mm magazines, capacity will be too small to be viable for combat use. So, the story really doesn't make any sense.
        Exactly, no sense at all.
        Why would anyone use a straight wall body and then stick a 17 degree shoulder on it?
        I have heard about the Carcano and SPC based 6.5 cartridges.
        We'll see what pops up at the CTTSO meeting soon.

Comment

Working...
        X