• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trock03
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2012

Adjustable gas block - beneficial?

It's possible that this should be posted in Build Your Own or elsewhere but I'm curious about the value of an adjustable gas block from a reloader's point of view.

Has anyone found one to be of benefit while working up loads?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

If your gun is over gassed it is very useful if you gun is not over gassed it is equally useless although it can be use full for fine tuning but isn't typically nessisary on a corectly set up gun
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I rarely see a need with a rifle-length gas system, but they are often needed on midlengths, as they tend to be more commonly overgassed. YMMV
      Drifter

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

An adjustable gas block can fine tune recoil with different loads, powder and using a suppressor. My friends always comment how little my AR rifles recoil compared to theirs. I discovered them when I installed an AA 18" Grendel barrel which failed to function because of an over sized gas port. I just installed this one on my new Grendel build with a Lilja barrel. It is small enough to fit under my 15" MI SSK mod series handguard

Last edited by montana; 01-29-2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

Fine tuning can be beneficial especially when a gun only fires one load but it can result in a gun that will not function if the load is changed
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
            An adjustable gas block can fine tune recoil with different loads, powder and using a suppressor. My friends always comment how little my AR rifles recoil compared to theirs. I discovered them when I installed an AA 18" Grendel barrel which failed to function because of an over sized gas port. I just installed this one on my new Grendel build with a Lilja barrel. It is small enough to fit under my 15" MI SSK mod series handguard

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=67
            SLR's are great. Even with a mid length gas system and an XL Rifle Length HG you can adjust the gas port from the front. Also they use a detente so you can feel clicks as you turn it for each 1/4 turn of adjustment. And the extra long allen wrench so you don't have to try and line up a screw on the side thru the HG.

Also there new super light (9oz) 15" HG's. And a 3Gun Model too (8oz).

That's whats going on my Lilja....

Comment

• lilharcher
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

I'm a believer......I've found that almost all AR's are over based without an adjustable gas block.

Comment

• Trock03
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2012

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be buying one for an upper I'm rebuilding.

Montana, Tedward - Hadn't seen those SLR blocks before. I like the front adjustability (is that a word?) and the extra material removed to save weight. This will be a walk around/in and out of a deer stand upper so any less weight is a good thing. Will be placing an order.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I put a JP adjustable on my 18". Its great to tune with the suppressor on. Im putting one on my dads 16" as well.

Comment

• Trock03
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2012

Lead Chucker - At the risk of high jacking my own thread, I'd like to know what suppressor you run with your Grendel. I see one in my future but haven't looked into it much at this point. To my knowledge the only option available for a 6.5mm is to run a .30 cal can. Seems like there would be some performance loss (both with the can and ballistics) but just how much loss is there to be expected?

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Originally posted by Trock03 View Post
                      Lead Chucker - At the risk of high jacking my own thread, I'd like to know what suppressor you run with your Grendel. I see one in my future but haven't looked into it much at this point. To my knowledge the only option available for a 6.5mm is to run a .30 cal can. Seems like there would be some performance loss (both with the can and ballistics) but just how much loss is there to be expected?
                      Trock I use a AAC cyclone on mine. To be honest I really dont shoot without it anymore. It performs very well on the grendel & is a 30 cal suppressor. I see no loss in performance at all with ballistics or accuracy. If anything it improves. Iv been using it for 2 years & really love it. I have also used it with 223 & really dont see any loss, it works quiet well on them also.

Comment

Working...
                      X