Nosler Grendel Brass listed at Brownells.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

Nosler Grendel Brass listed at Brownells.

Just looking on Brownells and they have Nosler Brass listed but out of stock. PRICY from them but I didn't know they even made it. I heard they were going to be producing it so maybe this is just an update for them so once it arrives, they just need to change to in-stock.

• mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

while i am all for more brass being on the market the nosler brass is fully double the price of hornady nearly doulbe the price of AA and 50% mor the lapua head stamp brass which is instock at midway right now
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Well I'll be. I just never saw it and yup, pricccy

Comment

• GMinor
        Warrior
        • Sep 2013

I can't believe that the grendel brass is more expensive than the Creedmoor brass.. doesn't make sense...

Comment

• tackdriver
          Warrior
          • Feb 2013

Hopefully the only way I will ever buy Nosler brass will be loaded w/a SSA liable on the box. They want almost as much for there brass as PF is getting for 50rnds of loaded ammo in Lapua/AA brass. PF will get my business.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

One thing to remember about Nosler Custom brass is that every piece in the box will be within 0.5 g of every other piece. They have also chamfered necks inside and out, neck sized each piece, and deburred the flash holes. What you are getting is a piece of brass ready for a custom load. No sorting for weight, (I sorted 500 pieces of WSM for weight a while back and ended with 5 groups of brass that was delineated by 2 grain increments. 238-239, 240-241, 242-243, 244-245, and greater than 245. The brass was spread pretty evenly. I couldn't get 50 pieces that were within .5g with over 500 pieces to work with!) I weighed a bunch of .45 brass recently and there was an 8g variation in it.

50 pieces with a .5 grain variation is impressive. If you want ultimate accuracy, you can do it this way, or you can sort A LOT of brass. Even with Lapua, I bet it would take at least 3 times as much brass to get 50 pieces with a variation of no more than .5gr.

Top it off with neck sizing and chamfering, and its not too bad a deal if you are looking for the ultimate load.

Comment

• babaganoush
              Warrior
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              One thing to remember about Nosler Custom brass is that every piece in the box will be within 0.5 g of every other piece. They have also chamfered necks inside and out, neck sized each piece, and deburred the flash holes. What you are getting is a piece of brass ready for a custom load. No sorting for weight, (I sorted 500 pieces of WSM for weight a while back and ended with 5 groups of brass that was delineated by 2 grain increments. 238-239, 240-241, 242-243, 244-245, and greater than 245. The brass was spread pretty evenly. I couldn't get 50 pieces that were within .5g with over 500 pieces to work with!) I weighed a bunch of .45 brass recently and there was an 8g variation in it.

50 pieces with a .5 grain variation is impressive. If you want ultimate accuracy, you can do it this way, or you can sort A LOT of brass. Even with Lapua, I bet it would take at least 3 times as much brass to get 50 pieces with a variation of no more than .5gr.

Top it off with neck sizing and chamfering, and its not too bad a deal if you are looking for the ultimate load.
              I've had those same issues with Lapua brass, Bill, when sorting my .308 brass. I found that I had to ease my standards to 1 grain increments in order to get 50 pieces in a group. It took multiple batches of brass to get enough groups to work with. On top of that, I still neck-sized, reamed and chamfered each piece, as well as deburred the flash hole and uniformed the primer pocket, to get it ready to load.

It all comes down to what you think your own time is worth. To some of us, the prepped brass is worth every penny. Others, like myself, have a bit more spare time on our hands, and may even enjoy going through the process.

Different strokes, and all that.
              "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

baba--true, if it is Perfect brass! Less time spent loading- dialing it in, etc. The $$$ is way high tho,- if - as a newcomer to the Grr horde, seeing that price- may deter a many?

If you kill paper only, it may be worth it!

For a Hunter , regular shooter @ the range= wow , price is not not cool.

Nosler has way cool stuff BTW. They must be in High speed recoup on the Grrr. Not cool-think long time frame of re couping the initial outlay. = Less greediness!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

i can live with pricy as long as there is quality behind it and consistency has always been part of noslers game but the want 50% more for grendel than they do for there other brass which is probably associated with development cost and estimated demand blah blah blah but when you consider that lapua is the benchmark for good brass one could buy AA/lapua brass and a rather nice digital scale to sort it

though maybe all of the reject grendel brass will show up on the proshop as seconds at a deep discount

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

We can only hope, cuz it Is still just fine, as for any long range shooter that I know!

Comment

• GMinor
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2013

What is your honest gain vs cost of weight sorting brass? I know folks who do and I know folks who don't. I'm in the latter category. I honestly believe there are way more effective ways of improving your shooting rather than spending your time sorting brass. I know folks who put down insane LR groups and they use whatever brass they can get their hands on, usually Lake city.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I'm kinda in the same mind set as baba - I don't mind playing with the brass to get it where I like. I also agree with S1, as I think it is pretty cheesy that Nosler would bring the Grendel brass to market at such a high premium. No reason to make your investment back on the first 30 customers.

Originally posted by GMinor View Post
                        What is your honest gain vs cost of weight sorting brass? I know folks who do and I know folks who don't. I'm in the latter category. I honestly believe there are way more effective ways of improving your shooting rather than spending your time sorting brass. I know folks who put down insane LR groups and they use whatever brass they can get their hands on, usually Lake city.
                        In my case, it comes down to simple piece of mind. By eliminating all the variables within my control, it allows me to focus on technique and loads. I've got a couple of rifles that I perform the incense ritual with the brass which will throw one hole groups with near boring regularity. They are fairly middle of the road guns, with less than $1,200 (sans optics) invested in either.

In short - I do it because it makes me happy. I can also say that my groups do open up when I load "mutt brass". GGG brass, while good, is not great. LC NATO Match brass, in .308, can come close, but my Lapua is constantly shooting better. I've also verified this with blind taste tests. (Buddy loaded 5 rounds from different head stamps, and didn't tell me which.) So, for me, burning incense on the case prep altar definitely improves my results.
                        Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-21-2014, 01:42 AM.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

As far as advantages to wieght sorting, it can't hurt

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                            As far as advantages to wieght sorting, it can't hurt
                            >gasp< you punctuated!
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                              >gasp< you punctuated!
                              Yeah arms are tired/weak it was arm day at the gym tonight... Punctuation slipped in in a moment of weakness

Also as far as noslers neck work its great for a bolt gun but in a gas gun where the neck is probably going to need to be reworked after one shot anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X