Scenar 108s, AA brass, 20" barrel. CFE223 or H335?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onewolf
    Bloodstained
    • May 2013

Scenar 108s, AA brass, 20" barrel. CFE223 or H335?

My first Grendel upper should be delivered tomorrow. Thank you Precision Firearms! I plan to shoot Scenar 108s and Scenar 123s. I assume for the 123s I will use CFE 223. I have already loaded rounds for a Scenar 123/CFE powder load test.

I was wondering if someone has prior experience with the Scenar 108s loaded with CFE 123 vs H-335? What sort of velocity do you think I will see with Scenar 108s and a 20" barrel?

Thanks for any advice.

Doug
  • pds
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

Onewolf,
    Read through this thread, Day out Shooting with CFE223, 123gr A-MAX, 107gr SMK 16" Grendel, You'll find that LRRPF52 had inconsistent result using CFE223 with the lighter bullets in his grendel.

pds

Comment

I've had some batches of safety ladders worked up using CFE to get an idea of where my carbine stands with regard to velocity and consistency with Hodgdon's CFE223. 123gr A-MAX First I had a suspicion that Hornady's data in the 9th Edition for 120-123gr pills could be based on the least common denominator of the projectile

If you look at the 108gr Scenar, it actually might do really well with CFE, because it has a lot of bearing surface, about the same as the 123gr A-MAX, whereas the 107gr SMK has a shorter bearing surface.

I'm actually really interested to see what you get with the 108gr Scenar. I would suggest a pressure and accuracy ladder using OCW round robin, starting with 29.0gr of CFE, working up in .3gr increments.

Find out your maximum allowable COL in your chamber, then magazine, and load .010" under that for COL. Your max charge weight could possibly go up to 31.7gr of CFE, but you will really have to find that with your individual chamber/barrel.

Comment

Working...
      X