Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragedracer1977

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
    Read back to ragedracer's First post----his BBL. NUT came loose,,, While he shot it, = many of us have wondered--What's up with that?

Maybe ragedracer could explain it .

I'm not sure what the question is. The barrel nut came loose while I was shooting. What are you asking for clarification on?

Comment

On my upper build the nut wouldn't center under 60 pounds.
      My torque wrench clicked at 85 pounds when the barrel nut got real close on my Lo Pro upper.
      I had to give it just a tad more torque and it centered.
      It's probably close to 95 pounds.
      Don't like to use locktite if I don't need it.
      Might be a little too much but it probably won't come loose.
      Your rifle looks good with the upgrades.
      Probably shoot a lot better also.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2014, 04:03 AM.

Comment

If anyone has access to TAC or knows where there's some hiding I would love to buy it. I have Barnes 100grn TTSX bullets loaded with TAC, they are deer slayers!

Comment

• cst
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

85 isjust fine,,,you can buy the reciever lapping tool from Wheeler to bring it down if you really have to. I wouldn't unless your having accuracy problems. I built one years ago and played around with varies torque settings...I tried 30ft/lbs....I ripped it loose durimg a barricade exercise with a verticle grip.... never go low again...50lbs+ is a more safe area.

Comment

• cst
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Waiting on range update from ragedracer when available!

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by cst View Post
              Waiting on range update from ragedracer when available!
              Well.... I'm happy!!

Here's 27.5 grains of TAC. ~1/2 MOA? I'll take it! Ignore the 2 low shots, they're actually high shots from when I was sighting in the scope.

28.0 I think would have printed similarly, but the target frame started rocking in the wind. The flyer out left I pulled the trigger just as the stand leaned backward.

For comparison, here is the 27.5 and 28.0 targets from last time I was out.

Considerable change.

Comment

Looks like a good shooter now.
                Your upgrades worked well.

Comment

Very nice groups. I'm ascertaining that the change was tightening your barrel nut?

I suspect ragedracer77 already knows this, but I wanted to mention that when determining your charge weight increments in the Grendel ( or any cartridge), take the case capacity or max load listed for that powder, then load in 1% increments of that. Example:

Case capacity is 34-35gr of water, load in .3gr increments. 34.0 x .01 = .34gr

If the maximum charge listed is 27.0gr, load in .2-.3gr increments.

In my .260 Remington, a lot of charge weights are over 40.0gr of powder. Many of the max loads are 45.0-49.0gr.

1% of a 49.0gr max is .49gr, or a usable .5gr increment on the scale.

In the .223 Remington, we step it down a bit. I don't load over .2gr increments when doing an accuracy/pressure ladder with the .223 Rem.

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Very nice groups. I'm ascertaining that the change was tightening your barrel nut?

I suspect ragedracer77 already knows this, but I wanted to mention that when determining your charge weight increments in the Grendel ( or any cartridge), take the case capacity or max load listed for that powder, then load in 1% increments of that. Example:

Case capacity is 34-35gr of water, load in .3gr increments. 34.0 x .01 = .34gr

If the maximum charge listed is 27.0gr, load in .2-.3gr increments.

In my .260 Remington, a lot of charge weights are over 40.0gr of powder. Many of the max loads are 45.0-49.0gr.

1% of a 49.0gr max is .49gr, or a usable .5gr increment on the scale.

In the .223 Remington, we step it down a bit. I don't load over .2gr increments when doing an accuracy/pressure ladder with the .223 Rem.
                    Actually, I replaced the upper receiver and free float tube. =)

And, thanks for the charge weight calculation, I didn't know there was math to it. =) I just went with .2 - .3g as a matter of course. This one I only went with a couple loads because I wanted to see if my accuracy improved at all with the new parts. Now that I know it did, I'll do a proper ladder and come up with a load.

Thanks!

Comment

raged racer-
                      nice work! Gotta love it when a plan comes together. Looks like you're pretty close to the "sweet spot"... you'll find out when you do the ladder test.. Nothing puts a smile on
                      your face like a "bug hole" group after a ladder test.
                      Nice rifle , by the way.
                      -mike

Comment

Working...
                      X