After Grendel, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extremely low recoil, abundance or cases, broad bullet selection, and light weight are why I invested in a BLK. Ballistic performance was a factor in my choice, but not the top of the list (obviously). I love hunting and plinking with it, but love the Grendel as much for different reasons. The two fill completely different niches, and I don't think they should be compared unlike the 6.8 v. 6.5G v. 30ARX.

Comment

For those that have 300 AAC and 300 Whisper, what have your experiences been with it in extreme cold weather as to reliability? I'm talking about significantly below freezing, as in 10 degrees lower or more (22F and under). Reason I ask is because I do a significant amount of shooting in the extreme cold each year, and I really enjoy shooting in cold weather.

For those that aren't aware, Alexander Arms makes 300 Blackout Carbines.

Comment

The only way to get below 25F here is to go into the freezer. At temps down to ~30, Lil Gun and H110 have performed flawlessly. I'd be interested in seeing those results in your clime though.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          For those that have 300 AAC and 300 Whisper, what have your experiences been with it in extreme cold weather as to reliability? I'm talking about significantly below freezing, as in 10 degrees lower or more (22F and under). Reason I ask is because I do a significant amount of shooting in the extreme cold each year, and I really enjoy shooting in cold weather.

For those that aren't aware, Alexander Arms makes 300 Blackout Carbines.
          I know my dad has used his 300blk for white tail in Missouri and seems to run fine in the winter for that application. But the weather is typically somewhere between 10F-30F during white tail season...

Comment

• stanprophet

I really want to build a Beowulf, the wife gave me the OK, but it really is going to depend on timing and barrel availability. I thought about a Precision Grendel, but with the lack of long range here, and having plenty of precision long range rifles at my disposal, I have decided to go a different route. If for some reason the I do not do a Beowulf I think the 300 blackout will be my second choice. Either 2 of those I can hunt with, and since most of the land I hunt on, the longest stretch is 350 yards.

There is something about a Big Bore that just puts a smile on your face! Like shooting the 12" Contender 45-70 with a modern cartridge in it.....

Comment

300BLK runs well in cold weather.
              I use H-110.
              It was made for 30 carbine and works well.
              I use rem 7 1/2 primers and use warm loads.
              I get 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups using 110 to 130 grain bullets.
              I've shot subs with the same accuracy using 1680 for 208 Amax and RE-7 for cast.

Comment

Any hot 150-155 gn recipes for a 9" barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                  Any hot 150-155 gn recipes for a 9" barrel?
                  I tried hornady 150 soft points and the accuracy wasn't as good as 110 to 130 grain bullets.

The hornady 110V-max and 130 soft points shoot better so I haven't done much with 150-155 grain bullets.

For 125's I've used sierra soft points,speer tnt,and nosler ballistic tips.

The hornady 125 sst's are said to shoot well but I haven't tried them.

I would try H-110/WW296 if you want to use 150's.

Some like lil-gun but I've got higher ES and it burns hot and leaves deposits on the bolt tail that looks like rust and is hard to get off.

The speer tnt's are worse for that,maybe jackets are thin and soft.

I've went up to 19 grains H-110 for the 125's and up to 20.3 grains for the 110 V-max.

Some consider 19 grains for the 125's hot but I get good accuracy and clean burn with no scary pressure signs.

The BLK has a small shoulder so I like to keep headspace snug and set the shoulder back around 4 thou using hornady headspace guage.

I use lancer mags so I can seat bullets a little farther out.

Comment

The Hornady manual suggests that 2050 fps can be obtained with 150-155 gn projectiles from a 16" barrel with Accurate 1680.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I'm hoping to get a 30 Remington AR in 2014 it has almost the same hunting range as the Grendel shooting a 150gr Nosler BT with a MV of about 2650fps. I'm staying off the 300blk bandwagon. If a AR-15 does not have at least a 400 yard effective hunting range its just not that interesting to me. Plus the 30RAR according to Hornady 9th Edition manual can shoot a 160gr FTX pill at 2600fps. It gets about a 460yard effective range with the Nosler BT and almost a 400 yard effective range with the 160gr FTX. According to Hornady a 160gr FTX is effectively taking Elk to 250 yards when fired at 2600fps. They mention that in the 308 Marlin Express section. The 30RAR and the 308 Marlin Express have the same MV for the 160gr FTX bullet. We have a 5.56mm a couple of Grendels and i want to get a 30 cal to round out the capabilities. Now just how to get an uppper? I'm hoping in 2014 Remington does another run as they've indicated they would.

Comment

Working...
                      X