loading longer than 2.26 inches in PRI 6.8 mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loading longer than 2.26 inches in PRI 6.8 mags?

I have several 25 round PRI 6.8spc mags...gen 3 I think. I just got in on the liberty barrel buy and will be putting together my first 6.5 grendel. Can these 6.8 pri mags allow you to load longer than 2.26 and will they feed reliably? Can you modify them to make them work if not and what do I need? Are there other mags that are better? (maybe is should sell these?) I had planned to build a 6.8 and got the PRI mags to load long at 2.29 to 2.30 COAL. Does anyone have any experience with these and loading longer?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

You can load a little longer, though the normal Grendel mags I have allow me to load to 2.300. No one has been able to make the PRI's run at full capacity, they get 5-10 rounds, but not a full mag, at least as far as I know.

Comment

what kind of grendel mags allow you to load to 2.3? I will probably sell the 6.8spc PRI mags then and buy grendel if no one has a way to fix them up. This will be my first grendel build so I want to aquire magas and load some bullets before my barrel gets in so I'm ready to go shooting and testing it out.

Comment

All my CProducts, ASC, & CProducts Defense allow a maximum COL of 2.300". I was going to buy a 10rd PRI 6.8 mag, but then I measured my own mags, and was pleasantly surprised.

Not all bullets will load that long though. The 129gr SST for me can be loaded longer than 2.300", whereas the 123gr A-MAX can be loaded in my chamber to 2.275".

Comment

my first round to try will be the 123 SST to load because 139 SST's have done really well on game in my 7-08. I was also thinking of trying the Nosler....120 hunting balistic tip i think its called. ever loaded these longer than 2.26?

Comment

and do you all have a favorite grendel mag? quality, reliable feeding, but good price for a 10 rounder?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
              my first round to try will be the 123 SST to load because 139 SST's have done really well on game in my 7-08. I was also thinking of trying the Nosler....120 hunting balistic tip i think its called. ever loaded these longer than 2.26?
              The 120 BT works VERY well out of the Grendel, and loaded at 2.26 I shoot 1/2 MOA with it.

ASC makes the Grendel mags for Alexander Arms as well. They are the most consistently reliable, and new production mags from them have very few issues.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                my first round to try will be the 123 SST to load ... I was also thinking of trying the Nosler....120 hunting balistic tip i think its called. ever loaded these longer than 2.26?
                You'll likely find that best results with both of those bullets will be with COL's of less than mag length. I think factory loads are also less than 2.26.

It's suggested to measure for max COL in your particular barrel with each bullet design, as there seems to be some variation among chambers.

While some cartridges certainly benefit from longer COL's (and mags that will allow for it), the Grendel usually does fine loaded to mag length (or less) with appropriate bullets.

Many bullets work well, but I believe that the 123gr Hornady Amax and SST were designed specifically for the Grendel, and they tend to be somewhat forgiving when working up accurate loads.
                Drifter

Comment

thanks guys...Do the 120 sst work well and expand with the lower muzzle velocities of the grendel? I assume they will with the polymer tip. they do damage in my 7-08 but the MV is way higher than i expect for grendel.

Comment

Working...
                  X