First groups with the new Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First groups with the new Grendel

Not terribly impressive, but not terrible either. This is the first groups I have shot other than to try and zero the scope. Load is 27.5 grains of IMR 8208 and 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Range is 100 yards. Shot from bipod and rear sandbag. Honestly, I think the gun shoots better than this. I might too if it were a little nicer out (40 degrees and windy) and if I would have been less hungover. Less coffee might make a difference too. lol. Such is life.

• Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

What manufacture and length is the barrel? Why don't you start off with factory ammo to make sure the loads aren't the issue. Just my thoughts...

Comment

Just havent been able to find any factory ammo, and dont plan on ever using it anyway. Barrel is 18", not sure the actual barrel manufacturer, but the upper was made by Saber Defence.
      Not sure what the velocity is on these either, didnt have the chrony with today.

Oh, and a friend shot those center two in case anyone was wondering.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

did you load the bipod? cause that has an effect on consistency. If your shooting from a bench you would be better served to use a front bag as well. if you want to shoot for tight groups i would recomend 120 smk or 123 amax over the 120 bt and you will want to play with your seating depth as well as your charge weight to see what shoots best in your gun (only do one at a time)
        Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 10-27-2013, 09:55 PM.
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Bipod was not loaded. Part of the problem was the guy looking through the spotting scope wassitting at the same picnic table which was not all that stable. Honestly I`m not that disappointed with this. Most of the larger group size are due to bad shooting and circumstance not the rifle or the ammo.
          One trip to the range and I feel good about hunting season.
          I look at that target and see 22 dead deer, the rifle cycled perfectly and every round ejected and loaded as it should, so its cool. Im sure the groups will tighten when I just do a better job.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

So long as you understand the limitation you working with yes that is a pretty good groups for hunting but it is more fun to shoot little groups than big....
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Buster
              Warrior
              • Mar 2012

Use consistent ammo.
              Be consistent in your technique and weather conditions.
              Drink Guinness and not the cheap sh!t
              Coffee is always good, tempered with a cigarette after walking 100 yards to set up your target.
              And just keep shooting it.
              My groups tightened up significantly after about 500 rounds.

Comment

How have I ever made it all these years without annealing?

Comment

Working...
                X