First time I've ever shot at a target past 100 yds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragedracer1977

First time I've ever shot at a target past 100 yds.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with my Grendel.

123gr SST
    27.3gr WC844 (essentially equivalent to H335)
    CCI #41 primer
    Once fired AA brass
    2.245 OAL
    16" 1-8 Black Hole Weaponry .264LBC barrel
    Primary Arms 4-16x44 FFP scope

First target was to check zero. I first zeroed this rifle at 50 yds. According to my ballistic calculator, I should have been 3.8" low at 200. Measuring the target, the center of my group is about 3.9" low. I dialed in 6 clicks (1/10 MIL scope clicks) and shot a group I'm pretty damn proud of.

That was the best group I shot. I only brought 20 rds with me (I wasn't totally sure of the load, but based on past tests, I knew it should be pretty good, I was right. ) I have a habit of shooting larger groups on the first shots, and I'm pretty sure it's because my heart rate is up from trekking back and forth across the desert setting up targets. I use a bipod but no rear support. Under 2 MOA at 200 isn't terrible, but I know that's what I'm working with when my heart rate is up. Unfortunately, I decided to put in a couple clicks right, because without a spotting scope, I thought it looked to me that the shots on the first target were hitting left. Should have left it alone and all but one of those shots would have likely been in the 10 ring!

Excellent job raged, keep it up. Any idea on velocity?

Comment

• ragedracer1977

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
      Excellent job raged, keep it up. Any idea on velocity?
      Average is ~2350

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Nice groups, well done.

Comment

That's good day at the range. Congratulations.

Comment

Working...
          X