IMR 8208 or Ramshot TAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMR 8208 or Ramshot TAC?

Just starting reloading for the Grendel, and I don't have any appropriate powder at this point. Local shop has both of these, and I was wondering if you guys had opinion one way or the other. They seem to be two of the more popular Grendel powders based on the reload data that I have seen.

Thanks.

Lucky guy. I wish my local shop had either.

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

I've had very good results with TAC I couldn't find anymore so I'm starting a new load with 8208. Which has very good reviews. But it seems cfe223 is what everyone is now gravitating towards.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
        I've had very good results with TAC I couldn't find anymore so I'm starting a new load with 8208. Which has very good reviews. But it seems cfe223 is what everyone is now gravitating towards.
        I wouldn't mind the opportunity to take a crack at CFE, if it was available here.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
          I wouldn't mind the opportunity to take a crack at CFE, if it was available here.
          I haven't been able to find it either.

Comment

Well the shop that I went to only had one 1lb bottle of each, and now all they have is the TAC.

I am sure the 8208 will do fine. There is another shop that I am stopping at tonight to get some bullets and primers. In know they have both, but not sure exactly what they have. We shall see.

Comment

8208 is more temp-stable being an extruded powder. TAC is a great powder for the Grendel, but can be temp-sensitive.

AA2520 and BL-C(2) are other popular powders in the Grendel. H335 and Winchester 748 as well. The 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook has oodles of load data with these powders and more, with 166 different load combinations, ranging in bullet weights from 85gr up to 156gr.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 10-19-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I started off with Tac for light bullets, 95gn vmax and 90gn tnt's, then tried Benchmark and love it now for light bullets. I like 8208 for heavier bullets like 123gn, I now use CFE with 123gn SST's and Amax's. The CFE gave me better accuracy and a little more velocity. I still have TAC and 3lb of 8208, but now I need some more CFE. There is nothing wrong with 8208 at all for accuracy. I still have 2lb of A2520 setting around.

Comment

I dont reload as much as I did once but IMO TAC is accurate and for me more available. Note that above the only thing that anyone can say bad about BLC 2 is that it smells bad. It smells bad?? I kinda like the smell. It smells like.....victory.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                      I dont reload as much as I did once but IMO TAC is accurate and for me more available. Note that above the only thing that anyone can say bad about BLC 2 is that it smells bad. It smells bad?? I kinda like the smell. It smells like.....victory.
                      I like the smell of BLC-2, but its crazy dirty compared to the others. TAC is very good, but be careful that you don't use loads that you develop in the winter when it is hot out! (Please don't ask me how I know!) 8208 loads are very temp stable, but its an edgy powder; in that it looks good, looks good, looks good, then "ah crap, I gotta buy a new bolt!". Stay below 28.3 grains with 123 bullets and you should be find. 28.3 up and be "VEWY, VEWY careful", to quote Tweety Bird!

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

hm2, I guess I was thinking of x-term , after the shot it stinks if wind is into your face.

Blc-2 is the dirty one, as bw stated.

Comment

Sorry to go off on that tangent guys, the thread was about 8208 vs Tac. I guess I was a little dehydrated from a day in the sun.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I`ll be careful if I get near max loads. I generally stay a little below max with everything I load though. If I need more speed with 120`s, I shoot the 257 Weatherby.

Comment

IMR 8208 is my powder of choice for the 123gr bullets. Third Generation Shooting Supply has been getting it in and has 8# jugs now.

Comment

Working...
                              X