• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Hand Deprimer

Has anybody tried the HARVEY DEPRIMER? Looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

I was just about to order the Redding Universal Depriming and Decapping Die Kit when I came across the harvey.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

The first thought that pops to mind, is the size of the decapping pin. If you're using Lapua or AA brass, you will need the smaller diameter pin.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
      Has anybody tried the HARVEY DEPRIMER? Looking for opinions before I pull the trigger.

I was just about to order the Redding Universal Depriming and Decapping Die Kit when I came across the harvey.
      If you buy this, let us know how this works out. I would be interested in it as well.

Glenn
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• wheelguner
        Warrior
        • Oct 2011

This is how I deprime

Arbor press with decapping base and rod.jpg
        I use the Sinclair Arbor press and a Wilson Decapping Base and Rod to deprime all of my cases. Since I use Wilson Dies for a lot of my rifle cartridges, including the Grendel it, was cost effective to buy the Wilson Decapping tools.

I also have an older Lee Decapper and Base 22 Caliber http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297...ase-22-caliber
        That I used with a plastic hammer for a long time. I have loaded some incredibly accurate .222 ammo with the Lee Target Model Loaders with that hammer. I wish Lee still offered the Target loaders.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

wheelgunner there's one problem with that setup. I can't deprime brass while watching college football. Roll Tide!

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

wheelgunner there's one problem with that setup. I can't deprime brass while watching college football. Roll Tide!
            That was exactly what I thought about the tool you had posted. I can sit on the couch and de-prime but then I will still need to resize so back to the press. Not sure if just de-priming is the way to go.

After you de-prime, what are the steps you follow? Do you want to de-prime so you can tumble without a primer then re-size? Then move to the reolading?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

I guess it is usefull if you want to deprime cases while watching football but honestly it wouldn't be much use to me

depriming is a minor part of the operation for me, if your dry tumbling the primer pockets don't get cleaned much anyway, when I am reloading a large quantity of rifle case I clean the cases then I set up my dillon 650 with a rcbs lube die which also deprimes in station 1 and move the size die to station 2 and leave the rest of the stations empty and then tumble the case to remove the lube and trim if nessisary then depending on what the load an purpose is I with load the cases on a single stage or set the dillon back up with a universal decaper on station one to ensure flash holes are clear and load away

Basically the only bennifit I see to this is if you stainless steel pin liquid tumble such as to clean pockets and realy realy want primer pocket filth all over your self and couch while watching the game

If your looking for a significant time saver give dillon a few pay checks and call it a day... So basically my advice is to spend as much money as possible....

That said I have spent way more than fifty bucks at a bar in one night which is my standard for spending money without return so if you think it will be usefull to you and you want it go for it and let us know how it works...
              Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 10-14-2013, 04:30 PM.
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                After you de-prime, what are the steps you follow? Do you want to de-prime so you can tumble without a primer then re-size? Then move to the reolading?
                mongoosesnipe I plan to try my hand at a homemade stainless steel tumbler in the near future. I intend to base it off one a member of the horde builds and sells. At least he use to his post for it is old, I don't know if he still builds and sells them.

Anyways depriming prior to tumbling will be beneficial to me. I'm thinking deprime them over a 5 gallon bucket to collect the mess.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

I sort of thought the same thing and ya, I thing in the same lines of the $50 bar bill and people trying to save $5 or $10 on a box of bullets or bolt, the second if not first most important parts of a gun......

first round is on you

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

Another consideration for my self any way is I tumble twice once to clean the cases and a second time after sizing to remove lube from the case bodies so the process of removing the primer before tumbling happens before the second cleaning anyway that said it does take 4 hours to watch 60 minutes of football so you gotta fill the time somehow

But what it really breaks down to is we like to tinker with stuff the other day I took the time to make 3 different mandrels so I could play around with hydraulic punching berdan primed brass 7.62x39 brass I got for free only to then make tiny little punch to get the primers out because it was easier all with the intent of converting them to boxer primed ant using them as cheap throw away Grendel case, mind you I spent about 3 hours just making tools getting the primers out of 80 cases which gets me not even half way into the conversion process... Is it economical? hell no, unless you consider that was 3 hours I wasn't looking for something for something to spend money on...

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Wait the lube needs to be removed after resizing???

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Wait the lube needs to be removed after resizing???
                        Well, yes - if you don't want that building up in your chamber and acting as a magnet for carbon, etc.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          Well, yes - if you don't want that building up in your chamber and acting as a magnet for carbon, etc.
                          Is wiping them down if I've already loaded the rounds or do I need to do more?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2012

Is wiping them down if I've already loaded the rounds or do I need to do more?
                            wiping them down is the bare minimum and probably good enough for a bolt gun for an auto you may want to use a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol to cut the lube but in the future it is easiest just to throw them back into the tumbler before loading

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

This is one of the reasons I prefer to use a single stage press to load most of my rifle ammunition. I make the sole exception for my 5.56 rounds but, even then, I will have decapped and sized the rounds prior to loading. This is so I can run the cases through the tumbler once more, in order to remove the last traces of case lube.

Comment

Working...
                              X