• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

case base dimensions?

I had an interesting experience with a new build, had a loaded round jam in the chamber, bolt not locked in and I couldn't get it to extract with the charging handle, had to beat the snot out of it to get it to open, anyway, the round that stuck was one of my handloads, i measured the base and it measures approx .444-.443 where as a new factory hornady is .438-.439, what should my die be sizing cases down to?
    SAAMI spec is what like .441?

I don't think your base is the problem. Did you make a dummy round to determine what would work or not in your chamber? It might have just been a jammed projectile. Are there rifling marks on the bullet near the shank (not scratches on the ogive from the feed ramps)?

When sizing brass, I like to make sure that I'm good before going any further in my loading because the brass needs to fit and drop free from my chamber. I don't use any special gauges, so I just drop the sized brass into the chamber and see if it will go all the way forward. I then tip my upper so the brass can fall out, which I expect it to do on its own weight. If it doesn't do that, I'm not happy.

Then I seat a bullet in that brass long, at the maximum length my mags will allow: 2.300". I then try the dummy round with the long-seated bullet into the chamber. If it sticks early without even using the bolt, I seat it deeper until I can get the bolt to close on it and the projectile isn't jammed into the lands. I use black marker on the bullet to see where the rifling starts to engage the bullet.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

no i did not measure for COAL, Im using my ammo to test out a new build, with same manufacture of barrel. these rounds are set at 2.275 if I remember right, yes there are marks around the shank, thats probably the issue.

Comment

What bullet it is? The only bullets that will let you load that COL are ones with a long secant ogive, like the 129gr SST, 123gr A-MAX for me, and the Berger VLD's.

2.275" is pretty long COL for the Grendel, and won't work with pills like the 120 or 100 NBT's. You also might not want to pull the trigger on such a load if the bullet is jammed that hard into the lands, because it has no jump, and will spike the start pressure something fierce if you're even close to max loads.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

This seems like about the eleventy ninth time this question, or one of its close relatives, has popped up in the previous month. Without bashing anyone new to reloading the Grendel, (or new to reloading, in general) I have to say that "Search is your friend"!

A Quick search for "Stuck Case" revealed the following:

I'm using Hornady and AA brass.I use Hornady dies I do separate them and reload them separately, however After the trimming and chamfering is done I'm still having trouble cycling my reloads. Does anyone use a crimp? What am I doing wrong?

I have a factory Double Star AR 6.5 Grendel. For sighting in purposes, I was using Wolf ammunition which fed and fired fine (other than blowing primers out.) When I switched to the Hornady (#8150) factory ammunition, the rounds were failing to fully seat and would stick in the chamber/barrel. It required mortaring to get the

I recently completed assembly on my grendel AR. I have built 2 5.56 ARs with/for friends previously, but this is MY first AR, and I have not shot/run/tinkered with ARs extensively, so am not super knowledgeable on troubleshooting them. I have been working a lot lately, so today I got my first chance to try and manually cycle

I have no idea how I screwed up so badly. I have about 50 rounds where I somehow overcrimped a bit and created a SLIGHT bulge just below the case shoulder. The bulge was just large enough for them to be getting stuck in the chamber. These were only plinking rounds, but I don't want to waste anything by pulling them apart.

And another search for "Ejection Problem" revealed the following:

Build specs PSA upper and lower BHW 20" barrel (type I)(.264lbc) standard low pro gas block M16 carrier 7.62x39 bolt (recommended for this barrel by member here) collapsible stock with standard recoil spring and H3 buffer (5.4oz). problem, weak ejection empties getting stuck in ejection port/stovepiping. I am thinking

Finding dents on my ejected case main body (my Satern Spartan home build, see first picture). I don't get this dent on my AA built Entry upper. The middle picture shows lack of denting on neck with my home build, while the third picture is the dented neck from AA Entry. What would cause the dented main body? Will this affect

Several times this past weekend after hunting I had one heck of a hard time getting the chambered unfired round to eject. The charging handle would barely budge. I had to continually mess between the charging handle and forward assist assembly to finally get the rounds to eject. Felt like the bolt assy. jamming somewhere. Never

All results are on the first page.

So, the next logical question is "How does this simple path get conveyed to someone who doesn't employ search, in the first place?"

If searches aren't getting utilized, then I would at least like to see a sticky in the "6.5 Grendel Ammunition & Reloading" forum, where a newcomer would be able to see it immediately.

It would cover some of the more common issues people have with Reloading, in general, and the Grendel, in particular. Something like that already suggested before, by DavidJ, in:
          Well i have reloaded for 20 years. Never ran into this one. I am running a new Satern bbl that is grendel chambered. Bolt was bought at same time as matched. Upon firing and resizing anything over a mid power load,I get a ring around the base as the sizing die squeezes it back to spec. Die is not sharp, mouth is chamfered well

To start with, it might be a simple list of the A B C's of proper case sizing and bullet seating, with emphasis on shoulder bumping. (This one seems to be at the root of 80% or so of the issues mentioned, lately.) I've seen several really great discussions on these issues by some of the horde, so it should be easy to generate, once started.

In any case, it could serve to help some of the new to Grendel reloading either avoid or quickly trouble shoot issues with malformed loads.

What do you say, guys?
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

What mags do you use that allow a COAL of 2.3"?

I measure the internal clearance of aly mags to be 57.15 (2.25"), and use 57mm as my max OAL

Comment

Here is my experience.

I'm new to reloading and am using a Forster FLS die. After resizing the cases measures 1.519" but will not chamber in the rifle. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                What mags do you use that allow a COAL of 2.3"?

I measure the internal clearance of aly mags to be 57.15 (2.25"), and use 57mm as my max OAL
                Klem.

Have an OAL that fits the magazine with some room at the tip. Then tune the OAL so the cartridge can chamber and extract without rifling marks being left on the ogive.

You don't need guages, and it isn't magic. You won't blow up a rifle if the OAL is not exactly, or even near, a spec printed in a manual. However, blindly following a printed OAL may lead to dangerous situations if your chamber is cut a bit short.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                X