139 gn Scenars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 139 gn Scenars

Any favorable experience with 139 gn Scenars in Grendel loads? ...in a 1-8.5" twist barrel?

I'll take that as, "No favorable experience with 139gn Scenars in the Grendel."

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Shooterapp has it sonic for me out to 1300 yards assuming I get at least 2450 fps MV.

If you're looking for a good target round and you get a good price on them I'd give them a try.

Bwild has data posted where he's gotten 2500+ fps with ~140gr projectiles
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Nukes, I played around with the 139 grn Scenars for a while and got great accuracy but with my 20" barrel I couldn't get enough speed to make the a long range option. Tommorow I will dig up my load info on the for you.

Comment

Everyone keeps sayin that bullets in the 130gr and up range are to big for the gender, but I am getting 2350-2400 fps with 139gr scenars, and 2400-2420 fps with 140 gr gamekings. With some of those loads I am putting them all in one hole groups. I don't have the long range experience as some of you, but the 139gr scenario is

Nukes, here is a thread I started a couple years ago on bigger bullets, there is some info in there and like I said I will get you more.

Comment

Nukes, here is some loads I was playing with before, I stopped messing with the bigger bullets because I sheared a Lu on my bolt and the ended up with a whole string of incorrectly head spaced bolts that kept failing. Other than firing them from my rifle these are untested loads and may not be safe! Pleases use extreme caution and step back 10% on your loads, there's the disclaimer.

All loads used hornady cases and CCI#450 primers.
            Also all loads were for the 139grn Scenar in question.

I have a twenty inch barrel and the bullets were seated to MAX magazine length. All crono readings are from five shot strings.

28.8 grns of Accurate 2520
            2399 FPS average. ES - 16. SD - 7
            2520 seems to show pressure signs in ALL loads for me, even with smaller bullets.

30.2 grns of Leverevolution
            2387 FPS average. ES - 31. SD - 11
            Leverevolution is my go to powder, it seems to behave much better than 2520 I'm my opinion.

I also tried 8208 but it didn't perform for me with 2302 FPS from 27 grns.

Hope this helps, now that you pulled the scab off I might have to get back at it!

Nimrod

Comment

2nd most accurate load 139L/Re15 27.2

Lapua cases, rem7.5, 27.2 grs Re15 .5 moa, no pressure
              Velocity 2340 from 24" barrel but strong enough to take 30lb ram at 550 yds

Comment

I wounder what the new 136 grain bullet and cfe would do. Hmm

Comment

Did they discontinue the 139 grn Scenar, I don't see it on their web site anymore?

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by richie301 View Post
                    Lapua cases, rem7.5, 27.2 grs Re15 .5 moa, no pressure
                    Velocity 2340 from 24" barrel but strong enough to take 30lb ram at 550 yds
                    30lb Ram? I didn't know they made them that small or was it a 300lb Ram??? At 550 yards it would be perty small to even hit...

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for those loads. Now I will look for the powders, though it sounds like our 20" barrel won't make the grade.

Bruno's has LOTS of 1213 and 139 gn Scenars.

Comment

Working...
                      X