6.5 Grendel Compressed Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel Compressed Loads

It appears that many of the powder charges for the Grendel are compressed loads, especially for the heavier weight (longer)bullets. Can someone comment on this? Thanks for any input. Rod
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

As long as it's a safe load, I consider a little crunch when seating the bullet to be a non-issue.
    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      As long as it's a safe load, I consider a little crunch when seating the bullet to be a non-issue.
      Agreed. Non-issue for a safe load. Always work up to max loads.

Comment

Since we resumed reloading I am noticing that many shooters are comfortable (even cavalier) about exceeding published MAX loads.

Comment

I would rather have a compressed load than an 1/2 filled case any day. I never want to experience a flashover.

Comment

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
            Since we resumed reloading I am noticing that many shooters are comfortable (even cavalier) about exceeding published MAX loads.
            Over the years, it hasn't been like that, because people will break bolts. Only the odd person every now and then will think they're living outside the laws of physics, and they will somehow be the exception to the rule, until it's too late.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
              I would add we are extra cautious at that point.

Now I'm at best a novice reloader, but what I've seen is the Hornady and Nosler published data seems to be on the conservative side.

With target rounds I go with the most accurate load on closest to max, I won't go far from max loads as there's no benefit for me in a hot target round. With hunting loads I go until I see unusual velocity data or my groups start to spread.

I tend to be a lot more respectful of AA max loads as they've put significantly more time into testing different loads.

Someone please correct me if my practices aren't safe.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I notice that my most accurate loads are compressed.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

I use the internal ballistics software Quickload and can thoroughly recommend it. It gives me peace of mind when considering how much powder to start with. Plus doing 'what-if's' across different bullets and powders is invaluable.

Using the software I don't start low and 'work up' as much as I used to and that saves time, barrel life and money. I still start below recommended but can do so much closer to SAAMI peak pressure. After a while you realise the German designers of Quickload have made the program conservative with a decent safety margin.

Here's one for you...A friend told me how in South Africa he came across an old-timer who re-loaded by scooping the case into the powder so it was flush with the mouth. Compressed load every time and he didn't know any different. I'm thinking there's not much difference between kaboom! and, KABOOOOOM!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X