• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

case mouth bent after shooting

This might be a dumb question but I am working up some loads and I ran across this, several pieces of my Lapua brass had the case mouth flattened on one side. What is the cause of this and what should I know about it? I was using a brass catcher that was 3-4 feet away, but some were perfectly fine.
    Attached Files
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
    This might be a dumb question but I am working up some loads and I ran across this, several pieces of my Lapua brass had the case mouth flattened on one side. What is the cause of this and what should I know about it? I was using a brass catcher that was 3-4 feet away, but some were perfectly fine.
    As some here will say, "Search is your Friend"...

first off I hope im not out of bounds by asking this here but.... I have been reloading for bolt guns for about 2 years now and because my Grendel is taking forever to get here (been ordered since Dec.) I started loading 223 just to get some experience loading for a gas gun. My question is when I shoot my reloads about 70%-80%
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• waveslayer
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

Thanks! I will most likely trim the spring... its happening on some of my blackout loads too. Good info

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
        Thanks! I will most likely trim the spring... its happening on some of my blackout loads too. Good info
        Not a problem. I've done that mod on my Grendel, as well as switching to an adjustable gas block. My brass is no longer considering filing charges of abuse against me.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

You can also put a Velcro square on your shell deflector. This will help tremendously. When I build an upper, non-slick side, that goes on before the trip to the range. Probably cuts down on 95% of the case mouth smashing.

Greg

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
            You can also put a Velcro square on your shell deflector. This will help tremendously. When I build an upper, non-slick side, that goes on before the trip to the range. Probably cuts down on 95% of the case mouth smashing.

Greg
            Or.. Or.. (I'm just throwing this out there, now) you could grind off that pesky deflector from your upper?

Comment

or buy one without one from the start.... I love my slickside DPMS....never flexes, fits tight and was cheaper than most uppers. The walls are about 3 times as thick

Comment

Of course catching that brass in my right eye might be an issue since I am a lefty!! LOL

Greg

Comment

I guess a case catcher would work too....I'm cant bend to pick brass up because of injuries so I'm looking into a brass catcher. My 7year old daughter shoots my slick side without problems but I turn the gas off for her so It single feeds. But I wish they made a true biathlon style upper so I didnt have to mess with the gas system.

Comment

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                    I guess a case catcher would work too....I'm cant bend to pick brass up because of injuries so I'm looking into a brass catcher. My 7year old daughter shoots my slick side without problems but I turn the gas off for her so It single feeds. But I wish they made a true biathlon style upper so I didnt have to mess with the gas system.
                    If you want an bolt style AR why not just take the gas block and reverse it. No gas tube out the back and it will block of the gas port. Put it on a side charger and you will be GTG.

Greg

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

PM Buster. He was telling me about a great one he made for cheap.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        PM Buster. He was telling me about a great one he made for cheap.
                        Here is mine because I just don't like bending over and picking thru the grass. After 60 rounds, not one on the ground and just go pull open the velcro and empty it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Wave, It's good to have the Velcro in place-but---that's why we all have re-sizing dies! It irons out all of the small issues of a gas gun-abusing the brass. Not to worry.
                          Small neck Dents don't really affect the life cycle of the brass. Unless it's the wolf junk.

Joker, a brass catcher would be perfect-I have one. Just tweak it for proper functioning. If you need it tweaked more to your liking=let me know . I've tweaked almost everything on planet so far, why stop now I joke?
                          How about a pic of your situations -needs. We are all in this life cycle together till the end. We are all here to help, don't worry. Pic it up.

Grendel family forever. True team effort. This dedication is hard to find on other forums,,..It's our time for us as a team to lay the groundwork for the future.
                          Not only for this forum, but gun control issues, hunting rules etc.
                          Together we can plow a path to get it all achieved.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 09-15-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Wave

Here is a link that describes the ejector spring mod: http://www.gswagner.com/arejector/arejector.html

Make sure you start with a very small removal, re-install and check for proper function. If still getting dents, repeat.

On my first attempt, I took off too much spring and did not have proper ejection. I would suggest having a couple of spare springs handy. Here is my thread on similar issue with the same fix: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...se-on-ejection
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2012

In addition to various brass catching options (which I like anyway), one of our UK Hoarde members a while back had not one but a couple variations of what I think you mean. Not properly a biathalon type charging system, but close enough for jazz music. I am blanking on the screen name, but perhaps someone will remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X