New loading data and write up on the 6.5 Grendel in the Rifle magazine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pds
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

New loading data and write up on the 6.5 Grendel in the Rifle magazine.

Rifle magazine has published a special edition on most commercially loaded AR based calibers currently available including the 6.5 Grendel. The author has many good things to say about the Grendel including this ("finding a cartridge that is suitable for AR-15 rifles and that can categorically match its ballistics is difficult. The 6.5 Grendel is a contender as the most versatile commercial AR-15 cartridge.") Loading data includes bullets weights of 95gr. to 130gr. using the following powders, Benchmark, N201, RL-10x, TAC, BL-C2, A2520, Varget, CFE223, RL-15 and W748. Velocity readings from a 22 inch custom barrel mounted on a AR-15 SSK upper. Only issue with his reloading data is he used only WSR primers and makes an issue and does not recommend the use of small rifle magnum primers with his data. He recommends WSR and CCI 400 and CCIBR-4 should be the only primers used. We all know that CCI has a published warning about not to use CCI 400 in AR rifles. Otherwise it provides some additional reloading data for the Grendel.

pds
    Last edited by pds; 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Could you post the exact title of that special issue? I am not having any luck searching the Wolfe Publishing Site or with Google. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• pds
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
      Could you post the exact title of that special issue? I am not having any luck searching the Wolfe Publishing Site or with Google. Thanks in advance.
      gunner,
      'AR Special Edition' Fall 2013 Special Edition
      Have you tried www.riflemagazine.com

pds

Comment

• pds
        Warrior
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by pds View Post
        gunner,
        'AR Special Edition' Fall 2013 Special Edition
        Have you tried www.riflemagazine.com

pds
        Here is a copy of the cover.

Comment

• dammitman
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

i am gonna find that copy. i didnt think that varget was ever advised or even tried. just theoreticaly not suitable.

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Thanks for the rely! I just searched for "AR Special Edition" on on both the Wolfe Publishing Home page and Riflemagazine.com and no joy. Thanks for the image of the cover..... that was above and beyond and it will make it easy to spot on the shelf.

I had an uncle that was a Master Chief and in charge of a turret on a cruiser during WWII and we called him "gunner or guns" and your reply brought him to mind.

I am, however, used to being called gunny,

Semper Fi

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
              Thanks for the rely! I just searched for "AR Special Edition" on on both the Wolfe Publishing Home page and Riflemagazine.com and no joy. Thanks for the image of the cover..... that was above and beyond and it will make it easy to spot on the shelf.

I had an uncle that was a Master Chief and in charge of a turret on a cruiser during WWII and we called him "gunner or guns" and your reply brought him to mind.

I am, however, used to being called gunny,

Semper Fi
              This is a little of subject. but Gunny you'll like this one.

I was in Ft. Eustus(I doubt I spelt it correctly) training one winter. It's an army base of the coast of Virgina. It was the first day we got there, so we got to use their chow hall (once). The entire platoon is outside the chow hall waiting. A young army PFC comes running through the area almost running into my Gunny. He stop and greets him with a "good evening SERGEANT". My Gunny was a 6' 8" salty SOB. The look on his face was priceless. I thought he was going to crush the kid.

For the non military guys here. The army refers to all enlisted from Sergeant to Sergeant Major as "Sergeant" when addressing them. (atleast that's what I understand) That's not the case in the Marine Corps. To call someone by the incorrect rank, especially a lower rank, you might as well just have insulted their mom, sister, and wife.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• wheelguner
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

Amazing how little moments in time get locked in forever. Thanks for sharing a grin!

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Always believe only about half of what is in a magazine article. As most of us know-450's are fine. Comedy finds it's own location! Hee Heee

Comment

Working...
                  X