brass question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brass question

first off I hope im not out of bounds by asking this here but....
    I have been reloading for bolt guns for about 2 years now and because my Grendel is taking forever to get here (been ordered since Dec.) I started loading 223 just to get some experience loading for a gas gun. My question is when I shoot my reloads about 70%-80% of the case necks get dented this does not happen with factory Remington loads. Do I have under pressure problem or is there something else.
    my load is 25 gn, tac behind a Winchester 55 gn. fmj

Thanks in advance for help

ccso118-
    the dented case necks are probably due to the case bouncing off the shell deflector upon ejection. Brass leads a pretty tough life in an AR platform compared to a bolt gun. You could try the old trick of placing a piece of velcro (fuzzy side) on the shell deflector to help soften the blow. Also, you could get a brass catcher bag to put on your upper (especially once you get your grendel brass) that way you'll have less damaged/ lost brass.
    -hope this helps.
    mike

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

Chances are your loads are running are running at a little higher preasure than the remington loads causing your cases to eject harder and bounce off the shell deflector solutions include padding the shell deflector, reducing your load a smidgen, getting one of the tubb flat wire springs to slow down your bcg adding wieght to your buffer and or bcg to slow down your bcg....
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

It is perfectly normal to beat up the brass from bouncing off the deflector. It is easily controlled by several methods. Most High Power Rifle competitors trim the ejector spring so that it doesn't slam the brass into the deflector so hard. Some place a piece of velcro on the deflector, which is legal for NRA match rifle but illegal for Service rifle. Or, if you are handy with tools you can trim about .020 off the ejector and radius it. All will work but here is a link to instructions. http://www.gswagner.com/arejector/arejector.html
        Bob

Comment

or adjust gas if you have an adjustable gas block. I know on extremely short barrels (10" or less) we used a gas tube that was shaped in a coil to lower the "shock" of the gas and to allow it to slow down the gas impulse. This allowed rifles to fire with standard loads in short barrel for super concealment and portability. Saw it was also used in some short barrels commercially as of late. I usually just adjust gas for less gas.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
            It is perfectly normal to beat up the brass from bouncing off the deflector. It is easily controlled by several methods. Most High Power Rifle competitors trim the ejector spring so that it doesn't slam the brass into the deflector so hard. Some place a piece of velcro on the deflector, which is legal for NRA match rifle but illegal for Service rifle. Or, if you are handy with tools you can trim about .020 off the ejector and radius it. All will work but here is a link to instructions. http://www.gswagner.com/arejector/arejector.html
            Bob
            I have DPMS Slick Side Uppers and no ejection door or deflector or dings. No velcro either....

Comment

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
              I have DPMS Slick Side Uppers and no ejection door or deflector or dings. No velcro either....
              Do you have beat up brass? or are you just saying look what I got? (;

Comment

Working...
              X