• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Last night while at the bench

Last night while reloading for my .303, I was reminded about how efficient the small Grendel case is. This was prompted by the fact that to get my .303 to 2550 fps with a 125gn pro hunter by sierra I have to fill the case with 46.5gn of re-loader 15.

This is 100fps slower than the 129SSTs I use when stalking, again re-loader 15 but only 30gn. Please note this is in my bolt action and probably not be used in an AR.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

The point remains it is a graphic difference in efficiency of the case. I would pick the latter over the former in a "mad minute"! ducwidt boom : )

Comment

I love how I only suck-up 31.0grs of powder with the Grendel per case, versus over 40.0grs with my .260 Rem, or up to 63.0grs with my .270 Winchester. It certainly is a very efficient chambering.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Plus, you get way more than ~75% or ~50% of the performance from it respectively!

Comment

I had a similar epiphany the other night when I very sadly realized I only get about 70 rounds from 1 pound of powder fro my 300 RUM!

Comment

• Overwatcher

And in a lightweight autoloading platform! It always blows me away when I go out and shoot my Grendel with my. 223 or 6x45 and see the difference in power in the same platform.
            A whole different world for the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Overwatcher View Post
              And in a lightweight autoloading platform! It always blows me away when I go out and shoot my Grendel with my. 223 or 6x45 and see the difference in power in the same platform.
              A whole different world for the Grendel.
              Roger that. The projectiles forget where they came from once they are thrown into the air, and just keep going.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

considering the Grendel has about 72% the bore volume of the 303 the efficiency is better exemplified comparing the powder to the percentage of bore volume so 64.5% the powder with 72% the bore that and the medium to big 30s are not very efficient with bullets under 150 grains
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
                X