Alliant 1200R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alliant 1200R?

Has anyone tried Alliant 1200R in the Grendel yet? My brother was just at Cabela's and that was one of the three different powders they had. I hope I didn't make a mistake by telling him not to bother. The information I found on it is very limited, so I assume it's a new powder? From what I found on the internet (so it has to be true) is that is close to RL10x, which at be a bit fast for Grendel if memory serves.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Allen View Post
    Has anyone tried Alliant 1200R in the Grendel yet? My brother was just at Cabela's and that was one of the three different powders they had. I hope I didn't make a mistake by telling him not to bother. The information I found on it is very limited, so I assume it's a new powder? From what I found on the internet (so it has to be true) is that is close to RL10x, which at be a bit fast for Grendel if memory serves.
    Allen:

My experiences with RL 10X were not good. I thought the powder was dangerous in a Grendel case. Alexander later said that if someone was to use RL 10X that they should do so with the lightest of bullets -- under 100 grains IIRC.

That said, Alexander also said that he wasn't sure why RL 10X acted the way it did in a Grendel because other powders in the same range did work well.

So, if you want to use it, let me suggest you do so with some of the 85 grain bullets and relatively light loads.

LR55

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

FWIW, it seems rare that a powder that performs well in the 6.8 SPC will also be optimum in the Grendel. And vice-versa.

6.8 powders are generally too fast for the Grendel, and Grendel powders are usually too slow for the 68. Exceptions might be heavy bullets in the 68 or light bullets in the 65.

R-10X is a proven powder in the 68, and 1200R seems to be doing well too. For that reason, I'd bet against either being well-suited to the G.

How's that for a scientific analysis?
      Drifter

Comment

Working...
      X