favorite AR Comp loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite AR Comp loads?

Does anyone want to brag about the accuracy of their AR Comp load with 123gr AMAX (or SMK) ?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

27.7gr AR-Comp with 123gr A-max

Back-to-back 3-shot groups from 100 yards with two different Satern barrels:

5-shot group from 100 using new Lapua brass (Satern):

10-shot group from 100 using 1x Lapua brass (Satern):

5-shot group from 100 (Shilen):

Last edited by Drifter; 08-23-2013, 08:28 PM.
    Drifter

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

Nice shooting Drifter, Where do you get your AR Comp? I did find 4 pounds of CFE-223 in Charlotte a few weeks ago.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
        Nice shooting Drifter, Where do you get your AR Comp?
        The last 25 lbs came from Bruno's. Not the best price, but the only place I could find it at the time.
        Drifter

Comment

Yes, nice shooting, nice load, Drifter... Mind if I "borrow" it? :-) AmmoInteractive has a 28.4 gr load for AR Comp, so it appears you are not even at max load. That is great!

No AR Comp at Bruno's today. Bruno's also says that CFE223 will not be available for 2 years due to military purchases. Ouch!

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
            Yes, nice shooting, nice load, Drifter... Mind if I "borrow" it? :-)
            Help yourself. It's been my go-to load in a variety of barrels. Great accuracy, decent speed, and easy on the bolt and weapon.

Because some powders are still hard to find, I'm also using AR-Comp in 223 and 260 with good results.
            Drifter

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
              27.7gr AR-Comp with 123gr A-max

Back-to-back 3-shot groups from 100 yards with two different Satern barrels:

5-shot group from 100 using new Lapua brass (Satern):

10-shot group from 100 using 1x Lapua brass (Satern):

5-shot group from 100 (Shilen):

For punching paper is the SST about the same at the A-max as accuracy? I am planning on buying a bunch and the SST is a little higher priced but what I plan to use for hunting. I want to have the practing round provide the same results when punching meat. So use only SST or practice with A-max ok??

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                For punching paper is the SST about the same at the A-max as accuracy? I am planning on buying a bunch and the SST is a little higher priced but what I plan to use for hunting. I want to have the practing round provide the same results when punching meat. So use only SST or practice with A-max ok??
                The 123gr SST is plenty accurate, but not quite as good as the A-max. (I don't think that it's unusual for the cannelure to have a small negative effect on accuracy.) I've had some really tight groups with the SST, but not as consistently as with the A-max. I use the same charge (27.7gr) with the SST, but seat it ~0.020" shorter than the A-max.

This was a 3-shot group with the 123gr SST using AR-Comp from 100 yards:

Drifter

Comment

Is there any wind in North Carolina? [laughing]

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Is there any wind in North Carolina? [laughing]
                    Yes, but I lost the pics from those days...

Here's some 200-yard groups from ~2 years ago using 27.9gr of AR-Comp with 123gr Scenars. This is also a testament to the repeatability of Bobro mounts:

Another AR-Comp pic showing last six shots fired that day (3 from 100 yards, and 3 from 600 yards):

Last edited by Drifter; 08-24-2013, 01:00 AM.
                    Drifter

Comment

I guess I need to add AR comp to the list.......

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                        Yes, but I lost the pics from those days...

Here's some 200-yard groups from ~2 years ago using 27.9gr of AR-Comp with 123gr Scenars. This is also a testament to the repeatability of Bobro mounts:

I see your note, ".287 bushing." Is that a mention of your die setting for later reproducibility?

Thanks for the load. We are getting ready to ladder your AR Comp load (except Lapua cases and Wolf SR Mag primers).

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I see your note, ".287 bushing." Is that a mention of your die setting for later reproducibility?
                          At that time, I was using a Redding S-type sizing die where as the bushing size used in the neck was 287. But it didn't seem optimal for both Lapua and Hornady brass.

Currently, I'm using a Forster sizing die for both brass types. After final tumbling, I run the Hornady brass through a Redding 6PPC Competition Neck Die with a 288 Titanium Nitride bushing (no lube needed), sizing only one-third or so of the neck. The goal is consistent neck tension (an important factor in accuracy), and this method is what seems to work best for me.
                          Drifter

Comment

• COTNTOP
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Ed in Southern Pines has AR-comp (28.00lb).

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                              Ed in Southern Pines has AR-comp (28.00lb).
                              Thanks- Do you know if they have a limit?

I might could justify the drive if I could score ~20 lbs. Might call 'em next week.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X