Benchmark in the Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmark in the Grendel

Anyone tried Benchmark in the Grendel with 140 grain bullets? If so what kind of velocities and accuracy were you getting? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Lead Chucker

Im using Benchmark with 90 gn TNT. Love it, very accurate with 2750fps velocity. Sorry but i havnt tried it with heavy bullets. I use CFE or XBR with 123 gn bullets.

Comment

Benchmark is a very fast burning powder in the Grendel cartridge, and completely inappropriate for pushing 140g projectiles, even if it is from a short barrel. I wouldn't even try it.

Comment

Alexander Arms lists Benchmark data only for the 90gr TNT, and that data can be found in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.

Hornady's 8th Edition has data for Benchmark and the 95gr-100gr V-MAX and Soft Points, but there are better powders listed for velocity like Accurate 2460 and TAC.

I agree that it wouldn't be appropriate for 140gr pills. For that weight, I would look at CFE, H4895, Varget, Accurate 2520, and N540 for 140gr in the Grendel. I would also look at Bwild97's data on 140-142gr pills he has shot.

Comment

Powder aside, what length of barrel do you have and what kind of accuracy did you get with the 90 TNT if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

For comparison purposes, I get around 1 MOA with the AA factory load 90gr TNT from my 16" AA barrel (ER Shaw). My nephew shot a 1 MOA group his first time with it as well. My carbine generally shoots about 1 MOA, no matter what I do to it. Some groups have been .79 MOA, others 1.2 MOA.

I mostly shoot 123gr from it though.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Originally posted by pburr View Post
              Powder aside, what length of barrel do you have and what kind of accuracy did you get with the 90 TNT if you dont mind me asking?
              I dont mind at all. Im shooting a 18" satern barrel, and most of time im getting .5" or better group at 100 yards. I have shot them out to 450 yrds on steel with no problems.

Comment

Working...
              X