Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XcountryRider

AA 2520 vs CFE223

How do these two powders compare for velocities and volume of powder needed? Any other comparisons?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

CFE is very dense, you can get about 31+ grains in the case depending on which bullet you use. 2520 has been the go to powder for the Grendel for years, and has been very good.

CFE seems to have a very smooth combustion, and people are getting wonderful velocities out of it.

If I were starting today, it would be with CFE, then XBR 8208. If I couldn't get those, I'd use 2520 and TAC or X-Terminator.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I have 8lbs of 2520 and looking at Bwild97's load data and wondering how close to that performance i can get and how much CFE223 is equal to 2520 for working up loads.

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

There is great info on some of the CFE-223 treads and the 123 SST load development thread. I think the max listed for 123 SST is about 31.2 gr of CFE-223. Many posts with a little below that mark shows great velocities and great accuracy. I think I am going to start with 30.2 and work up to about 30.8. I don't like to push to close to the maximums and stress the lugs.
        Last edited by Sputnik; 08-05-2013, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
          I have 8lbs of 2520 and looking at Bwild97's load data and wondering how close to that performance i can get and how much CFE223 is equal to 2520 for working up loads.
          You can get reasonably close, but probably will still be 100 FPS or so short. Do you have the Grendel reloading manual?

There is plenty of information on 2520 on the Western Powders website, and available online.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            You can get reasonably close, but probably will still be 100 FPS or so short. Do you have the Grendel reloading manual?

There is plenty of information on 2520 on the Western Powders website, and available online.

I do if i could find it!!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by xcountryrider View Post
              i do if i could find it!!
              lol!!!

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I have a pound of CFE iv had for over a year but havnt tried it. My go to is 8208 for the 123 amax & Benchmark for 90gn speer TNT. I got to work up a load using CFE!

Comment

AA 2520 has been working great for me with 123gr bullets. Max listed load of 30.8 gr has given better than advertised velocities (2600+fps in 18" AA bbl) and best groups. It is a "warm" load but functions perfectly and load density is 100% in once fired cases. Primer pockets starting to loosen and getting light ejector marks after 3 firings. Saving this load for one time S.H.T.F. Working on a practice load at lower accuracy node around 29.0 gr.

8208XBR and CFE are appropriate for 100gr bullets but IMHO too fast for 123 gr.

Comment

• XcountryRider

So my 123gr SST load of 2520 at 28.6gr is conservative?

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                      So my 123gr SST load of 2520 at 28.6gr is conservative?
                      Did you compare using the data in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook? AA2520 is listed with the 123gr Scenar and 123gr SMK at over 30.0gr for each (max loads). Both of those bullets have fairly long bullet shanks, meaning that they build pressure well with a lot of bearing surface.

Comment

Working...
                      X